Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go for an AMEX Blue Cash

tag
valtamirano
Established Member

Re: Should I go for an AMEX Blue Cash

So today was the 24 hour mark so I went online and check the status of my application. As it turns out, I was approved for S5,200. I'm very happy with this credit limit and especially more excited when I can ask for the three times credit limit increase.

There is one question however, since I do get a 15 month 0 percent APR intro rate, will I be able to hold a balance during the promotion time without damaging my credit score?
As of August 2017:
TU - 796 -- EQ - 761 -- EXP - unkn -- FICO - 787

Credit Limits:
Chase Sapphire Reserve - $34.4K -- Discover Platinum - $3.5K -- BoA Cash Rewards - $1K -- Amex Delta Gold - $9.7K -- Amex BCE - $6.6K -- WF JA - $6.2K -- Fidelity Inv. Rewards - $7K -- Mesa Money - $9.4K -- Lord&Taylor - $1.5K -- Best Buy - $3.5K -- Citi DoubleCash - $5.2K -- Citi Forward - $3.5K -- Sunglass Hut - $2K
Message 21 of 30
enharu
Super Contributor

@valtamirano wrote:
So today was the 24 hour mark so I went online and check the status of my application. As it turns out, I was approved for S5,200. I'm very happy with this credit limit and especially more excited when I can ask for the three times credit limit increase.

There is one question however, since I do get a 15 month 0 percent APR intro rate, will I be able to hold a balance during the promotion time without damaging my credit score?

If you hold a balance, especially a high one, it will hurt your score for the time that balance is reporting.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 22 of 30
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations. I never thought you'd be denied. Welcome to AMEX.

Message 23 of 30
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations, I knew you would get it!  Use your card heavily, pay in full, don't app for any other cards and you should get that 3x CLI no problem.

Message 24 of 30
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@valtamirano wrote:

If you hold a balance, especially a high one, it will hurt your score for the time that balance is reporting.

That's true but if you're not planning on apping for anything else, it's not such a big deal that your score gets dinged while you're taking advantage of the 0% apr. It sounds like your scores are already pretty good to begin with. But there are those who are a bit obsessive about not losing a single point regardless of them apping for anything. At the same time, not telling you to max out your new card either! Also, if you're carrying a balance, it may affect whether you get the full 3x CLI on day 61.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 25 of 30
knoregs
Established Contributor

@valtamirano wrote:

Congrats!

~kn

EQ: 700 (FICO ScoreWatch) 11/26/14
EX: ??? (No Current)
TU: 681 (Discover FICO) 11/12/14

Last App 9/22/14... In Garden 'till Summer '15
Message 26 of 30
valtamirano
Established Member

Thanks to all who helped me out, much appreciated. Smiley Happy

I'm very good when it comes to spending and planning big purchases, so I won't be maintaining a huge balance. Since I run the chance of affecting my odds of getting a 3x CLI, I figured I will hold off on any spending that will carry a balance until I make that CLI request.

On the meantime, I'll be using this card for gas and all other expenses.

As of August 2017:
TU - 796 -- EQ - 761 -- EXP - unkn -- FICO - 787

Credit Limits:
Chase Sapphire Reserve - $34.4K -- Discover Platinum - $3.5K -- BoA Cash Rewards - $1K -- Amex Delta Gold - $9.7K -- Amex BCE - $6.6K -- WF JA - $6.2K -- Fidelity Inv. Rewards - $7K -- Mesa Money - $9.4K -- Lord&Taylor - $1.5K -- Best Buy - $3.5K -- Citi DoubleCash - $5.2K -- Citi Forward - $3.5K -- Sunglass Hut - $2K
Message 27 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Welcome to Amex!!!! I'm lovin' my BCE!
It has fabulous rewards, one of the best- although of course there are naysayers!
Two tips:
1. Amex doesn't like long term balance carrying (even I keep this one pif!) Take advantage of the 0%, but I wouldn't have util > 20%
2. Get the 3xcli, which would be $15,600, after the 61st day or around there.

ENJOY!!

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 28 of 30
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Welcome to Amex!!!! I'm lovin' my BCE!
It has fabulous rewards, one of the best- although of course there are naysayers!
Two tips:
1. Amex doesn't like long term balance carrying (even I keep this one pif!) Take advantage of the 0%, but I wouldn't have util > 20%
2. Get the 3xcli, which would be $15,600, after the 61st day or around there.

ENJOY!!

On my BCP i am trying to pull in full and keep util low at all times, in case they soft pull me in middle of statement cycle. Want to have best chances for my CLI in december. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 29 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I pif'ed my first and second statements to get the first 3xcli too.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.