Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go for it?!?

tag
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

Should I go for it?!?

I was setting up my Express Next account and a pre-approval popped up! Im happy with my cards and not looking to add any, but on the flip side, I do shop there a lot. Thoughts/opinions? Is it a decent card that will grow or will I be stuck with a toy limit? (the APR is CRAZY high, 24.9%!)

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I go for it?!?

@cmthomas06 wrote:

I was setting up my Express Next account and a pre-approval popped up! Im happy with my cards and not looking to add any, but on the flip side, I do shop there a lot. Thoughts/opinions? Is it a decent card that will grow or will I be stuck with a toy limit? (the APR is CRAZY high, 24.9%!)

If you shop at Express often it goes on the list of cards that you are almost  STUPID if you don't get! and getting it with no HP makes it even better!

They can be a little slow at first, you will probably start at $500 or so... and may not see first increase until after 8 or 9 months but then they usually take off with AUTO CLI very regularly, I have only had to request once in the past when I have had them... 

Coupons are frequent and if you ge tup to the premier level (What ever they call that, it's new now) it gets really good.

Not to mention they will let you divide your purchase up as many times as you want, I try to shop during week or day on a friday a sale is or something and if i do it on weekend, I try to get myself organized with what items are going to be in what transaction, but usually they are very cool about it...

it was last year but these 3 people (have no idea what or why) but they literally bought $2900... I SOOOO wanted to ask the guy paying if he would swipe his amex on my Square account and let me pay for his express purchase, of course i couldn't take the whole thing... actually unless changed nobody could do that on Express account because the max CL is $2740.00 (My friend has it, requested increase and got letter saying Express CL's do not go higher) Anway, he threw like $900 down drain if not more that day based on coupons i had!!!

Message 2 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I'd say do it!! Just don't carry a balance often. I have a $2750 limit :-P.

And btw... I started at $250 in like 2007 and I got clis every SIX MONTHS, not 8 or 9. I requested them though....

You get so many discounts, it's unbelievable!!!!! I think you can make pmts in store too!!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 8
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

if your not worried about your aooa at the moment. id go for it if you shop there alot. ( i feel the clothes have gone down in quality though) 

and like stated no hard pull so just new account jitters. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 4 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

They don't have the Zack extra slim straight men's jeans any more :-(
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 8
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

I had a similar situation. I do shop at express often, however, they send so many coupons via text and email that I feel having their CC is of no benefit to me. The APR is ridiculous and sometimes their clothes are hit or miss....just depends on the season.

Message 6 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@WhiteCollar wrote:

I had a similar situation. I do shop at express often, however, they send so many coupons via text and email that I feel having their CC is of no benefit to me. The APR is ridiculous and sometimes their clothes are hit or miss....just depends on the season.

I don't know if often means high dollar... but you are missing rewards of the credit card on top of the coupons! and I think it's still $500... once you clear into the (next level shopper!) it just gets better.

Message 7 of 8
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

Thanks for all of the advice guys! I went ahead and applied, only because it was a SP so Im still in the garden Smiley Happy . I mainly went for it simply for the coupons; my mom has the card and always gets them! This will be my 4th new line in 4 months, hence why I was nervous. Cant wait to get the card and see where they started me at! 

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.