cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go for quicksilver or freedom?**update approved for chase freedom!!

tag
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Should I go for quicksilver or freedom?**update approved for chase freedom!!

I really need a card with 0% apr for about a year due to some upcoming expenses. 

Spoke with Capital One EO office and got my cr limits increased last night on 2 cards- so up to 4k limits on all Cap One cards. They could convert them over to the Quicksilver without annual fee, but said I'd have to apply for a new card to get the 0% apr.

I really don't want 4 quicksilver cards, but not sure what my chances would be either Chase since I have a bk 7 from 2008. I was denied a Discover in July.

Thoughts?  

Updated to to add that I was approved on recon. 1k limit. Super excited Smiley Happy

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
US Airways 1.5K, Discover 8K,
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I go for quicksilver or freedom?

Are all your Cap1 bank cards or was one converted over. The reason I asked is I thought you could only have 2 bank cards from Cap1. You can have more if they are cobranded is my understanding.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Justrebuilding wrote:

I was denied a Discover in July.

Thoughts?  

I'd suggest looking into the reason for denial and addressing it before just applying for something else and hoping for the best.

Is approval your only concern?  Have you compared the rates and benefits of the cards to see which would be a better fit for you?  What's your current utilization like?

Message 3 of 16
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

2 were originally Cap One, 1 was converted from Orchard.  I had not heard that about Cap One. Thanks for the info. I did ask the EO if I was already at my limit for number of cards with them and they said not necessarily, it would just depend on my credit profile. 

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
Message 4 of 16
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Justrebuilding wrote:

Thoughts?  

I'd suggest looking into the reason for denial and addressing it before just applying for something else and hoping for the best.

Is approval your only concern?  Have you compared the rates and benefits of the cards to see which would be a better fit for you?  What's your current utilization like?

Discover said it was because of my bk. I have a bal of 1100 on my care credit, 600 on NFCU. 0 bal on all other cards. I am mainly concerned with that introductory APR fir now, I would prefer the Chase to get something different besides Cap One and I think it's more of a prime card. But I am not sure if I could get it. 

Message 5 of 16
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Justrebuilding wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Justrebuilding wrote:

Thoughts?  

Discover said it was because of my bk. I have a bal of 1100 on my care credit, 600 on NFCU. 0 bal on all other cards. I am mainly concerned with that introductory APR fir now, I would prefer the Chase to get something different besides Cap One and I think it's more of a prime card. But I am not sure if I could get it. 

I would wait for more feedback on Chase. I was turned down from Chase from a BK in the early 90s Chase had bought out that CC and I have never had a Chase card before. I applied last summer. I have also heard they are not BK friendly.

Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Message 6 of 16
notfancy
Valued Contributor

I don't know how Cap 1 is about this, but can you combine all your cards into one card with the limits and balances all added together? If they are all QS accounts, I don't see why they can't do it. I would absolutely love a Chase account personally, but if your cards are not all QS, and I misread your post some how, why not contact the EO and get them converted? Then you can later look into Chase?

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 7 of 16
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

I don't know how Cap 1 is about this, but can you combine all your cards into one card with the limits and balances all added together? If they are all QS accounts, I don't see why they can't do it. I would absolutely love a Chase account personally, but if your cards are not all QS, and I misread your post some how, why not contact the EO and get them converted? Then you can later look into Chase?

I wish I could! I asked the EO about converting them into one card and was told they don't combine cards. It would be a lot easier to manage. 

Message 8 of 16
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Justrebuilding wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

I wish I could! I asked the EO about converting them into one card and was told they don't combine cards. It would be a lot easier to manage. 

+1 I have never read of anyone combining cards!

Message 9 of 16
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Nuts! I know other companies do it, like my coveted Chase. It's a shame that Cap 1 won't.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.