cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I go through with app for Orchard?

tag
js0319
Established Contributor

Should I go through with app for Orchard?

My wife and I tried the pre-app process for Orchard Bank a few weeks ago. Before the hard pull - I was approved for what appeared to be an unsecured CC, while my wife got the offer for the secured card. I currently have a Cap1 secured card with a $300 limit, and no other open CC accounts. We also opened a CU account today, and we were denied an unsecured card through them.

Should I go ahead an do the Orchard Bank CC since it's unsecured and they're the only lenders that seem to want to lend me money? Also, if I did go with Orchard - does having Orchard on your file hurt you when there are manual reviews of your credit? I know that it's not necessarily the greatest card to have, but it is better than what I have currently - I just don't want to do more harm than good.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
someone379
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I go through with app for Orchard?

I have a card with them, had it for about 1 year now --- They are very active with reporting, I think that it has helped my score a bit having a card that reports positive payment history.   I just got a credit increase with them as well, they will do that on occasion if you ask them.    

Starting Score: EQ 503 TU 478" "Current Scores: EQ >750 TU >750 EX >750
IHG (19k) | Discover IT (18k) | BCE (14.5k) | SPG (14k) | CashForward (7.5) | Citi DC (6k) | TE (5.5k) | Marriott (5k) | Citi Best Buy (5k) | Amz VISA (3k) | BofA Cash Rewards (4.5k) | FNBO 6.25% AMEX (2.3k) | Amz Store (CLOSED) | QS1 ($1.6k)
Message 2 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

With Orchard reporting a couple of years ago, I had no issues getting decent CCs like Amex, Discover, Wachovia (pre-WF), National City Bank (pre-PNC), Macys, Bloomies, Barclays, BofA, and a host of other CCs. I don't think it ever had a negative impact for me.

Message 3 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Orchard reports as HSBC. Soon will be reporting as HSBC/cap one. So no harm
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 10
js0319
Established Contributor

I went ahead and completed the app - I got approved for the Gold MC. Does anyone have any idea what the typical starting CL's are on this particular card? I think I read something stating that they start at $300.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

Message 5 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

In your credit situation, you shouldn't even worry about CL yet.  Personally, I would go for one more open tradeline.  Maybe just a gas or store card.  I hope you are planning on PIF.  In 6 months or so with 3 revolving trade lines, you will hopefully see signficant FICO jump and qualify for more long term cards.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine started off at $300. It's now up to $1600, and is one of my lower interest rates too. (forgot what it is offhand)

Message 7 of 10
js0319
Established Contributor

I PIF every month on my Cap1 CC, but then again I usually never charge more than $30 on it. We'll see what my CL comes back as when I receive the card. This will give me two revolving TL's, so I'm hoping I'll see a bump here in a few months. I'm tired of being stuck in the mid 500's - but I know I've got a long road ahead of me too.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This isn't really an answer but more of a question for the original poster Smiley Happy

I also filled out the OB application and it clearly stated I was approved for an unsecured card. BUT the next page said I had to print off the application and submit my $200 deposit so thats not UNSECURED to me!! Did this happen to you? It was in the fine print. Has this happened to anyone with OB? I didn't print off the application and mail it once I saw that. I tried to call customer service but it said it could not locate an application for me and would not let me speak to a human!

Message 9 of 10
js0319
Established Contributor

That didn't happen to me. When I got to the last page, I had to pay the processing fee of $19, but the was it.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.