cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I hop on the Chase Sapphire Reserve bandwagon?

tag
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Re: Should I hop on the Chase Sapphire Reserve bandwagon?

@Anonymous wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

@RaiseMyScoreASAP wrote:

@Essence wrote:

I have a feeling that by merely asking this question - the answer is probably no, but I'd love to hear what the general consensus is on this issue. Currently, I put most of my spend on my PNC Cashbuilder card. I'm no where near maximiming my potential cashback using only that card, but it interfaces nicely with PNC since I bank with them and it's easy. I like it out of convenience. 

Thanks to the hype everywhere else on the internet, I've been thinking about picking up the CSR and Freedom Unlimited because I don't have those cards yet, and the sign up bonuses for the CSR would be attractive, but I know as it stands now, most of my spend is not on travel or restaurants. It's not the long term card for me unless things change.

I would be able to meet the Sign Up bonus requirements naturally, I would be able to take advantage of the $300 travel credit this year and next no problem, but I don't think I would want to keep this card long term..Is it still worth it to go for it?

If you go Chase, then go all in. You need the CSR, Freedom Unlimited and Freedom. The second two are no fee cards. Just remember Chase has a 5/24 rule.

AMEX should be considered for the PRG and EveryDay Perferred. That will maximize MR.

The rumor mill says that AMEX is going to be offering a competitive premium card by October 5. I would wait until that shakes out.

If you want to go all in on Chase, then get the Ink Cash as well.  Maybe a little harder to get but getting 5 UR/$ on cable, satellite, and cell phone bills (I get about 2,500 URs a month just from this) and then 2 UR/$ on gas.  I usually get 3,000 URs a month from this card just on my bonused spending - not counting any other spend (which is usually minimal).

My issue with Amex cards is it is hard for me to justify having another portfolio of cards.  I know some people like to diversify but I just can't justify carrying even more AFs or trying to put 30 something transactions on a card to earn MRs just to diversify my points.  If Amex had better transfer partners I would have probably had all Amex cards instead of Chase - but if Amex ups its game I could see maybe eventually switching.

This is a business card and not everyone here has a business.  In fact, most don't

Yes, but creating a business is relatively easy.  Example, my wife is a tutor and therefore has her own business - she is working for herself, gets to write off mileage and expenses associated with said work, and could easily qualify for a business card.  A business doesn't have to be some big corporation or congolomorate - it could be something as simple as selling items online, and it doesn't typically need a dba.

Message 21 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.