LostInMich

Should I increase CL on secured BofA?

Ok, so I found out that I am, indeed, getting my secured BofA card. Yay!  My question is this... I only gave $400 to start and I can afford to put another $500 a month towards that.  Should I do it?  I could have a credit line of close to $5,000 by the time the card is supposed to be able to convert to unsecured. I'm just wondering if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
PayingTheBills

Re: Should I increase CL on secured BofA?

[ Edited ]
As long as you don't run a balance on the card, then ABSOLUTELY a higher CL will help your score.  And since you're essentially guaranteed to get the money back in 9-12 months, there's no risk.
Message Edited by PayingTheBills on 02-24-2009 12:20 PM

Starting Score: 540 EQ 517 TU on 11/17/08
Current Score: 668 EQ 715 TU
Goal Score: 760 EQ 760 TU

My Credit Repair Journal
Mega Contributor
Creditaddict

I started with 500 and then sent in another $500 a couple months later.

Reports from people are when it unsecured they also got a cli of at least $500 and someone posted increasing there credit line to $2k the month before 9 months and it unsecured to $2500.  If you can part with the money for a while and make use of the credit line, I say go as high as you can. 

Fico Scores: EQ 639 Navy, TU 665 GE, EX 677 Prosper (07-09-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Fidelity Amex $25k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Buckle $250
Over 30 Cards in between :smileytongue:
LostInMich

Ah, that's a good point!  Do they typically go unsecured for what your CL currently is?  If so, it would definitely be better to have a higher secured CL.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+