cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I increase my CLI with secured CapOne?

tag
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Should I increase my CLI with secured CapOne?

I have a $200 CL (Secured w/ $49 depo).  My total CLI across my 3 CCs is $2220 (without the depo of extra deposit).  I am in the process of closing my BoA acct and using my local CU as my new primary Bank.  I've had recent fraud with my BoA card due to a "reader" (not BoA fault), but other co-workers with other bank debit cards are having issues as well and after reading another thread here about those using CCs mainly, then PIF, I'm thinking that's the route I to should go.

Now, here's the thing. I currently have a BoA debit card that earns skymiles (albeit, not a lot and their is a AF), but the CapOne card will not earn me any int on my depo nor recieves rewards, that I'm aware of.

it would only increase my over all CLI and decrease my overall util% that isn't above 9% (up until recently was always 0%).

I have no outstanding debt and have a EF in place.  Looking for input here for or against what I'm pondering on doing.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I increase my CLI with secured CapOne?

@Repo-ed wrote:

I have a $200 CL (Secured w/ $49 depo).  My total CLI across my 3 CCs is $2220 (without the depo of extra deposit).  I am in the process of closing my BoA acct and using my local CU as my new primary Bank.  I've had recent fraud with my BoA card due to a "reader" (not BoA fault), but other co-workers with other bank debit cards are having issues as well and after reading another thread here about those using CCs mainly, then PIF, I'm thinking that's the route I to should go.

Now, here's the thing. I currently have a BoA debit card that earns skymiles (albeit, not a lot and their is a AF), but the CapOne card will not earn me any int on my depo nor recieves rewards, that I'm aware of.

it would only increase my over all CLI and decrease my overall util% that isn't above 9% (up until recently was always 0%).

I have no outstanding debt and have a EF in place.  Looking for input here for or against what I'm pondering on doing.

It's always good to add deposits to your secured cards. And would recommend trying to get it up to 2K over the course of a year or more.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 5
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I just learned of the USAA (member for 14 years) secured MC or Amex card from another thread and it puts your deposit into a 2 yr CD.

Wondering if I should just then leave the capone alone, and put the money towards that card.  If I am able to backdate the secured amex through them to 2006, my first/only amex card (now a baddie w/ no missed pmts), then that might be a smart move for me right now.

Message 3 of 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

I just learned of the USAA (member for 14 years) secured MC or Amex card from another thread and it puts your deposit into a 2 yr CD.

Wondering if I should just then leave the capone alone, and put the money towards that card.  If I am able to backdate the secured amex through them to 2006, my first/only amex card (now a baddie w/ no missed pmts), then that might be a smart move for me right now.

I would stay away from fresh INQ's and keep with Cap1.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 5
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Sound advice.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.