cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I just cancel my Barclay's card?

tag
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I just cancel my Barclay's card?

Okay so worst case OP will have to hang onto it until it is 12 months old then OP can PC.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 11 of 21
HiLine
Blogger

@bs6054 wrote:

Like Amex FR, I think the frequency of Barclays AA is way overstated here.  It's not in their interest to close accounts for no good reason.

Beat me to it! Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 21
Open123
Super Contributor

I'd just keep it and either downgrade, PC or cancel it before the annual fee is up.

In the end, $200 isn't as good as $400, but still nonethelss a more than decent sign up bonus for $1,000 spend.  Barclays (the contra Amex) seems to have the propensity to reward non spending.  For my US Air card (twice), after not using the card for a couple months after the sign up bonus, they offer 15K miles to spend $500 per month for 3 consecutive months. 

Same for the NFL card, no activity for a couple of months after the $400 bonus on the initial $1K spend, they email an offer for another 20K points for spending $500 per month for the next 3 consecutive months.

I'd wager the same offer will be triggered by your card.  After meeting the signing bonus, just don't use the card and wait for Barclay's additional bonus to be triggered.

Message 13 of 21
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

What's done is done. I agree with the other posters, keep it and PC in 12 mos. Maybe now you'll stay in the garden! Lol
Message 14 of 21
gmason
Contributor

Does a PC on a Barclay card change the age of account?

I would like to PC from itunes rewards to general rewards. But the rewards would not be worth a new account.

Message 15 of 21
enharu
Super Contributor

Ah I see. Thanks a lot for the info!!! I'm definitely staying in the garden Smiley Very Happy
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 16 of 21
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Keep 'er! Barclay's ain't that bad 😌
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 17 of 21
enharu
Super Contributor

by the way, does it make a difference if it's closed by lender, or closed by consumer?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 18 of 21
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Keep the card and don't close it.  Why worry about something that hasn't hit you yet?  Rather than repeat here, just look at what I just wrote in this thread and make the decision if you should close or not when you compare my profile to yours:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/New-accounts-and-will-creditors-close-my-acc/td-p/20475...

Secondlly, you can do a PC before 12 months because I just did it a few weeks ago (got my card in September).  I PC'd from Apple to Rewards.  I thought I was getting the MC but they sent me another Visa but it is the rewards.  It did not show up as a different card on my report.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 19 of 21
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

by the way, does it make a difference if it's closed by lender, or closed by consumer?

Scorewise, no, it is not looked at by the algorithm.   On manual review, it might raise a question, but equally they could ask "Why did you close this card" (maybe wondering if you are the type of customer that just gets the card for a bonus and then cancels).

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.