cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I keep my Delta Gold AMEX if I have a CSP?

tag
bluedoggiant
New Contributor

Should I keep my Delta Gold AMEX if I have a CSP?

Just realized that I can purchase Delta tickets through the online Chase UR portal, and that I can use points. 13688 points for a $171 ticket versus having to use 25k miles for the same ticket using my Delta Skymiles.

Is there any benefit to my delta card at this point besides the free checked baggage and priority boarding?

Thinking about cancelling this card and getting a BCP.

Or should I wait until I hit Silver Medallion Status, will that be worth it? Or does that counter constantly reset each year?

I flew Delta a lot past year and will be a few times until the end of 2014 but after that I will be flying sparingly - so I wouldn't cancel until then. I've had it since July 2013, could I get out of paying the AF that way?

I already have the CSP to be clear.

----- QS: $10k ------ CF: $14k ------- BCP: $15k ------- CSP: $24k ------ AMEXPlat ----
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Techno
Contributor

Re: Should I keep my Delta Gold AMEX if I have a CSP?

If you dont have CSP and fly delta alot keep it, medallion is is for a year as far as i know.

if u had it july then ur AF is due,then u have to decide now, if i were you i would keep it for at least another year, if u think u can get silver thats even better.

Message 2 of 18
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

They are two completely different programs, so only you will know if the Delta card is still worthwhile.

In the example you gave the cost of the Delta flight was better using the UR mall than Skymiles, but there are many cases Skymiles would be better.  It really comes down to how much you will be flying Delta, the checked bag savings, if you'll spend/need to credit card spend over ride to get status, etc.

You have to earn status each year, so if you're silver in 2014, it will be in effect through Feb 2015, unless you re-earn it flying in 2014.

Message 3 of 18
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

I'm in the same situation. I'll keep my eye on this thread.
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 4 of 18
bluedoggiant
New Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

They are two completely different programs, so only you will know if the Delta card is still worthwhile.

In the example you gave the cost of the Delta flight was better using the UR mall than Skymiles, but there are many cases Skymiles would be better.  It really comes down to how much you will be flying Delta, the checked bag savings, if you'll spend/need to credit card spend over ride to get status, etc.

You have to earn status each year, so if you're silver in 2014, it will be in effect through Feb 2015, unless you re-earn it flying in 2014.

So since I have had my card for a year, I should expect it to show up on this current statement, even though it hasn't already? Is it too late to cancel the card without catching the fee?

I have about 51k miles, and plan to purchase about $800 worth of delta tickets from here until Dec 14. I plan to move more of my purchasing over to my new chase card.

If I cancel and get the BCP later on in Dec/Jan, will it be backdated?

Thanks all.

----- QS: $10k ------ CF: $14k ------- BCP: $15k ------- CSP: $24k ------ AMEXPlat ----
Message 5 of 18
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@bluedoggiant wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

So since I have had my card for a year, I should expect it to show up on this current statement, even though it hasn't already? Is it too late to cancel the card without catching the fee?

I have about 51k miles, and plan to purchase about $800 worth of delta tickets from here until Dec 14. I plan to move more of my purchasing over to my new chase card.

Thanks all.

Yes it will. If you cancel all you Amex cards and then apply for a new one later, it will still be backdated.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 6 of 18
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@bluedoggiant wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

Thanks all.

I believe the rule is you can get the AF refunded if you cancel within 60 days of it posting.

IMO ... $800 in Delta spend is not worth the AF.

Yes, you'll get the backdate.  If your goal is max backdating don't app until Jan

Message 7 of 18
bluedoggiant
New Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@bluedoggiant wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

Thanks all.

I believe the rule is you can get the AF refunded if you cancel within 60 days of it posting.

IMO ... $800 in Delta spend is not worth the AF.

Yes, you'll get the backdate.  If your goal is max backdating don't app until Jan

Actually about $1100 in delta purchases between now and Dec. 2014.

So you guys think I should cancel my AMEX card asap? Am I really wasting my time with it? Problem is, I like AMEX a lot, their CS has one me over but I think this CSP should hold me over for a few months.

I'm worried though about getting rid of the credit card, it'll leave me with one card available with no backup besides my ATM card. Any way I could transfer to a BCP immediately without a hard inq? Still not sure if I should get Blue Cash or Everyday card. I assume I just had a hard inq because I applied (and approved) for CSP this month.

EDIT: Don't think everyday would be useful for me as I would only really use points on travel related stuff, and CSP is good enough for that.

Would a Chase Freedom card be better than AMEX BC? Does Freedom 5% Cashback all of a sudden become 5x points? Checking account from Chase is not an option. I do shop at supermarkets and use gas a lot.

Message 8 of 18
randeman
Frequent Contributor

I think the only reason for you to keep the Delta card is if you are a fairly frequent Delta flyer.  I am not as frequent as someone who is Medallion, but the free checked bag and priority boarding are important enough for me to have it.  It sounds like you're more interested in using points for tickets rather than miles.  If so, lose it.  It doesn't seem like you have enough interest in it to warrant the AF.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 9 of 18
bluedoggiant
New Contributor

@randeman wrote:

I think the only reason for you to keep the Delta card is if you are a fairly frequent Delta flyer.  I am not as frequent as someone who is Medallion, but the free checked bag and priority boarding are important enough for me to have it.  It sounds like you're more interested in using points for tickets rather than miles.  If so, lose it.  It doesn't seem like you have enough interest in it to warrant the AF.

I don't understand this, I thought you use miles/points for tickets?

Is the BCE considered an inferior card to the Delta Gold AMEX.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.