Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I let Cap One close my account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I let Cap One close my account?

I've seen that a lot of people on here have been able to get help with their personal credit situations, so I thought I'd get help with mine. Here are the cards I have:

Orchard Bank Secured MC - $200 limit - Opened 8/06 - Closed 6/08

Capital One MC - $500 opening limit, CLI to $750 & $1250 - Opened 12/06

Chase Freedom Visa - $2500 limit - Opened 4/07

Belk store card - $200 opening limit, CLI to $300 & $400 - Opened 11/07

Hilton AmEx - $2500 limit - Opened 6/09

My question revolves around the Capital One card. I haven't used it for anything since June 2008, so I'm surprised they haven't closed it yet. I'm thinking part of the reason may be that I check the account online a couple of times a month to make sure there's no charge on it. Should I charge something on it every once in a while, or let it lapse? I should be able to use the Visa and AmEx for anything I need while keeping an eye on some other cards I want to get in the future. Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I let Cap One close my account?

@Anonymous wrote:

I've seen that a lot of people on here have been able to get help with their personal credit situations, so I thought I'd get help with mine. Here are the cards I have:

My question revolves around the Capital One card. I haven't used it for anything since June 2008, so I'm surprised they haven't closed it yet. I'm thinking part of the reason may be that I check the account online a couple of times a month to make sure there's no charge on it. Should I charge something on it every once in a while, or let it lapse? I should be able to use the Visa and AmEx for anything I need while keeping an eye on some other cards I want to get in the future. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Scooter,

If it was me, I would keep the card open and reporting. It has 4 years of history helping your AAoA and the CL is helping your util. Do you have a small recuring payment that you could set up for auto-pay to this card monthly and then pay it off when the charge hits? I keep one of mine alive and kicking that way (CCT monthly fee). It keeps the card reporting and does not cost a penny since you pay the monthly payment any way.

Just MHO. Others may have a different angle.

CB

Message 2 of 4
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Scooter,

If it was me, I would keep the card open and reporting. It has 4 years of history helping your AAoA and the CL is helping your util. Do you have a small recuring payment that you could set up for auto-pay to this card monthly and then pay it off when the charge hits? I keep one of mine alive and kicking that way (CCT monthly fee). It keeps the card reporting and does not cost a penny since you pay the monthly payment any way.

Just MHO. Others may have a different angle.

CB

+1

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 4
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

+1

Right on, charliebrown1370!  That's what I'd do, too!

It's almost 20% of your total revolving tradelines.  Besides, now you've got a group of cards (MC/Visa/Amex) that's well-rounded!  :smileyhappy: 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.