scooter133

Should I let Cap One close my account?

I've seen that a lot of people on here have been able to get help with their personal credit situations, so I thought I'd get help with mine. Here are the cards I have:

Orchard Bank Secured MC - $200 limit - Opened 8/06 - Closed 6/08

Capital One MC - $500 opening limit, CLI to $750 & $1250 - Opened 12/06

Chase Freedom Visa - $2500 limit - Opened 4/07

Belk store card - $200 opening limit, CLI to $300 & $400 - Opened 11/07

Hilton AmEx - $2500 limit - Opened 6/09

My question revolves around the Capital One card. I haven't used it for anything since June 2008, so I'm surprised they haven't closed it yet. I'm thinking part of the reason may be that I check the account online a couple of times a month to make sure there's no charge on it. Should I charge something on it every once in a while, or let it lapse? I should be able to use the Visa and AmEx for anything I need while keeping an eye on some other cards I want to get in the future. Any help would be appreciated.

Frequent Contributor
charliebrown1370

Re: Should I let Cap One close my account?

scooter133 wrote:

I've seen that a lot of people on here have been able to get help with their personal credit situations, so I thought I'd get help with mine. Here are the cards I have:

My question revolves around the Capital One card. I haven't used it for anything since June 2008, so I'm surprised they haven't closed it yet. I'm thinking part of the reason may be that I check the account online a couple of times a month to make sure there's no charge on it. Should I charge something on it every once in a while, or let it lapse? I should be able to use the Visa and AmEx for anything I need while keeping an eye on some other cards I want to get in the future. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Scooter,

If it was me, I would keep the card open and reporting. It has 4 years of history helping your AAoA and the CL is helping your util. Do you have a small recuring payment that you could set up for auto-pay to this card monthly and then pay it off when the charge hits? I keep one of mine alive and kicking that way (CCT monthly fee). It keeps the card reporting and does not cost a penny since you pay the monthly payment any way.

Just MHO. Others may have a different angle.

CB

Starting Score: EQ 618 TU 585
Current Score: EQ 680 TU 698 EX 681 (lender pull 04/2010)
Goal Score: EQ 720 TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
score_building

charliebrown1370 wrote:

scooter133 wrote:

Hi Scooter,

If it was me, I would keep the card open and reporting. It has 4 years of history helping your AAoA and the CL is helping your util. Do you have a small recuring payment that you could set up for auto-pay to this card monthly and then pay it off when the charge hits? I keep one of mine alive and kicking that way (CCT monthly fee). It keeps the card reporting and does not cost a penny since you pay the monthly payment any way.

Just MHO. Others may have a different angle.

CB

+1

FICOS:
06/13 EX 765 (PSECU) EQ 771 (DCU) TU 779 (Barclays)
Valued Contributor
Uborrow-Upay

+1

Right on, charliebrown1370!  That's what I'd do, too!

It's almost 20% of your total revolving tradelines.  Besides, now you've got a group of cards (MC/Visa/Amex) that's well-rounded!  :smileyhappy: 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}