cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I let my cards report small balnace.. Or???

tag
plasticcards
New Contributor

Should I let my cards report small balnace.. Or???

Hello! I was wondering is it good to leave a small amount maybe $150 or $200 reported on my credit cards on my report or is it better If I pay out completely every month and report will show $0? Let me know if you have any advice. Thanks 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I let my cards report small balnace.. Or???

Let one card report a small balance ( 1-9% UTIL of it's limit) and the rest $0 balance. This will optimize your FICO score.

Message 2 of 16
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I would keep your utilzation under 9% and you will be fine!

Message 3 of 16
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Should it be 1-9 percent of the cards util or your entire until?
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 4 of 16
Elcid89
Contributor

@Anonymous- wrote:

Let one card report a small balance ( 1-9% UTIL of it's limit) and the rest $0 balance. This will optimize your FICO score.

+1

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 5 of 16
Elcid89
Contributor

@Luscher wrote:

Entire utilization. You want to keep your overall utilization below 10% to optimize FICO.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 6 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

@Luscher wrote:

Entire utilization. You want to keep your overall utilization below 10% to optimize FICO.

Correct 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 16
Luscher
Valued Contributor

sweet cause i keep my utilization to 0 lol, well probably a .000001 for that one small balance that posts
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 8 of 16
enharu
Super Contributor

If you are not applying for any new credit / loan in the near future, just let high balances report once in a while, just to show usage.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I agree with enharu regarding usage but keep in mind lenders sp for auto CLI's. you always want your cr to be pristine.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.