Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I let owner know of possible fraud in his store...UPDATE

tag
bluewillow
New Contributor

Should I let owner know of possible fraud in his store...UPDATE

In the past month two of my credit cards and one debit card were compromised. Thankfully fraud alert caught it. The one common thing was all 3 cards came up for fraud within days of using them at the same place. A Famers Market store in NJ

The third was  last night at 10:30 PM at a Target in Mt Vernon NY....what the hell do they make a copy of the card? I only have one card and it's in my wallet.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I let owner know of possible fraud in his store

No.

Message 2 of 18
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I would leave it to the police and the credit card company. Also i would advise getting new cards in case you havent already. CC fraud is never a fun game, been there luckily it was my CC and not debit.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 18
bluewillow
New Contributor

All 3 have been cancelled and new ones on way. What I don't understand is how my card was attempted to be used at a Target in a different state when it's right in my wallet? I would think at target you have to have a card in hand!! This store is one of the ones where you actually have to hand card to clerk. Possible that clerk, same one all 3 times had a card skimmer on her machine??/ Very annoying to say the least

Message 4 of 18
gblb
New Contributor

Personally I see no risk in telling the store owner to look out for possible fraud. It's the kind of thing that could kill a business's  reputation and if he doesn't know anything I am sure they would be very grateful. Unless they were large fraud purchases I would think police and cc company wouldn't put too much energy in. Just my 2 cenfts.

American Express Platinum // Chase Sapphire Preferred // Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard // Chase Freedom // Delta American Express Platinum // Chase Slate

Scores hovering around 712-740 FICO
Message 5 of 18
Exonumist
Established Contributor

There's no way of knowing who is taking the information. It could just be coincidence and not have anything to do with his store. Because of that just leave it alone. You're not on the line for any of the money. Just let it go. The bank will deal with it.

Message 6 of 18
bluewillow
New Contributor

One was overseas for 3500.00 declined because it was overseas and totally out of my spend habits. Yep I'll let cc deal with it and just use cash whenever I go to this store

Message 7 of 18
bluewillow
New Contributor

i did mention to the fraud person that all 3 cards were the same thing.....last valid purchase was at this farm store and then the fraud comes up..so maybe they will look into it

Message 8 of 18
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

I shop at that Target! Smiley Sad Sorry to hear this happened to you. Good thing your card companies caught those purchases!

Message 9 of 18
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@bluewillow wrote:

All 3 have been cancelled and new ones on way. What I don't understand is how my card was attempted to be used at a Target in a different state when it's right in my wallet? I would think at target you have to have a card in hand!! This store is one of the ones where you actually have to hand card to clerk. Possible that clerk, same one all 3 times had a card skimmer on her machine??/ Very annoying to say the least 

Either your card was skimmed by the clerk, or the terminal they were using was compromised. 

Either way, once the data from magnetic strip was copied, it can be easily used to produce a fake card.

I would inform the store manager to look into it.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.