Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I open CU account now OR wait

tag
jchu2013
Valued Member

Should I open CU account now OR wait

I want to open accounts with the following CU : DCU, PenFed and Alliant.

My corcern is my credit file is pretty new now ( as seen in my signature ) and they probably will not approve me for any credit products now. So, should I open the accounts with them now to establish the relationship OR should I open it after 6-7 months and apply for their credit products right away so that I can save some inquiries?

My plan is apply for a car loan and another small spree of cc application after 6-7 month.

Thanks in advance!

My current situation :
Credit Score : NONE.
BOA secured card (4000), US bank secured card (4000)
4 Inquiries in Dec 2012
0 BAD

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Should I open CU account now OR wait

@jchu2013 wrote:

I want to open accounts with the following CU : DCU, PenFed and Alliant.

My corcern is my credit file is pretty new now ( as seen in my signature ) and they probably will not approve me for any credit products now. So, should I open the accounts with them now to establish the relationship OR should I open it after 6-7 months and apply for their credit products right away so that I can save some inquiries?

My plan is apply for a car loan and another small spree of cc application after 6-7 month.

Thanks in advance!

IMO, I would wait and do it all at once. You will need a credit score to be approved for car loan and credit products so why have your score affected by inq's now? Also, if you plan on doing an app spree - some lenders are inq sensitive...might as well lump them all together.   Both DCU and Alliant will pull twice ( membership and credit products).  In 6-7 mos, you should have a pretty good score as long as you keep your util down and pay on time. 

Just my .02.

Goodluck! 

Message 2 of 4
chnceit
Valued Contributor

PenFed is know to be the hardest of all 3.

Since you have no score wait till you generate one.

I suggest try a local CU to build a relationship

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 3 of 4
jchu2013
Valued Member

Thanks for info.

If the relationship is not important, I prefer to wait for 6-7 months

My current situation :
Credit Score : NONE.
BOA secured card (4000), US bank secured card (4000)
4 Inquiries in Dec 2012
0 BAD

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.