Valued Member
jchu2013

Should I open CU account now OR wait

I want to open accounts with the following CU : DCU, PenFed and Alliant.

My corcern is my credit file is pretty new now ( as seen in my signature ) and they probably will not approve me for any credit products now. So, should I open the accounts with them now to establish the relationship OR should I open it after 6-7 months and apply for their credit products right away so that I can save some inquiries?

My plan is apply for a car loan and another small spree of cc application after 6-7 month.

Thanks in advance!

My current situation :
Credit Score : NONE.
BOA secured card (4000), US bank secured card (4000)
4 Inquiries in Dec 2012
0 BAD

09Lexie

Re: Should I open CU account now OR wait

jchu2013 wrote:

I want to open accounts with the following CU : DCU, PenFed and Alliant.

My corcern is my credit file is pretty new now ( as seen in my signature ) and they probably will not approve me for any credit products now. So, should I open the accounts with them now to establish the relationship OR should I open it after 6-7 months and apply for their credit products right away so that I can save some inquiries?

My plan is apply for a car loan and another small spree of cc application after 6-7 month.

Thanks in advance!

IMO, I would wait and do it all at once. You will need a credit score to be approved for car loan and credit products so why have your score affected by inq's now? Also, if you plan on doing an app spree - some lenders are inq sensitive...might as well lump them all together.   Both DCU and Alliant will pull twice ( membership and credit products).  In 6-7 mos, you should have a pretty good score as long as you keep your util down and pay on time. 

Just my .02.

Goodluck! 

Valued Contributor
chnceit

PenFed is know to be the hardest of all 3.

Since you have no score wait till you generate one.

I suggest try a local CU to build a relationship

$100K in Credit
Last Credit Card App: 11/16/13
Valued Member
jchu2013

Thanks for info.

If the relationship is not important, I prefer to wait for 6-7 months

My current situation :
Credit Score : NONE.
BOA secured card (4000), US bank secured card (4000)
4 Inquiries in Dec 2012
0 BAD

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+