cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I open another credit card? Recommendations?

tag
ksquared
Established Member

Should I open another credit card? Recommendations?

I use credit karama for monitoring my credit. I know the score isn't completely accurate but its always been within 20-30 points too low. but anyways it gives me a D rating for credit lines open.

Heres what I have

Amex Blue Cash

Citi Forward

Citi DoubleCash

Chase Freedom

Target

Barclays Barnes and Noble

and i'm an authorized user still on my moms capital one however i need to get off that now that im 4 years post college and on my own.

I feel like thats enough but should I add another? Im thinking of Discover IT or wondering if you guys have recommendations. I prefer rewards cards and I have around 750 fico score.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Should I open another credit card? Recommendations?

CSP for a 1-2 punch with the Freedom 

Depending on history and current limits of course 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 15
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

question is do you NEED another card?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not quite sure why you would want to get a Discover card when you already have Double Cash and Chase Freedom. It's a little redundant to have so many cash back cards. If you're going to get anything, which I don't necessarily think you should, get a miles or points card for travel. Get Chase Sapphire Preferred if you're going to get one card.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

That D rating from CK for having six accounts is stupid, and contrary to every recommendation from peeps who know credit.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're four years post college, that puts you around 26. If you travel, I would go for a travel card. Another option is the Chase AARP card, which gives 3% back on restaurants and fast food. I also really like the Sallie Mae card, which gives 5% back on gas (up to $250 spend per month), groceries (up to $250 spend per month), and bookstores (including Amazon, up to $750 spend per month). I think AARP & SM are the two cards that I am most likely to use now and was most likely to use when I was your age. You might also consider the UPromise Sallie Mae card, which has some very good rewards on select restaurants. 

Message 6 of 15
racer-x
Valued Contributor

What's your income, what are your current CL's?

Message 7 of 15
ksquared
Established Member

I am 26. Income: 60,000
Amex 15,000
Citi forward 7500
Citi double cash 4300
Chase freedom 5000
Target 1000
Barnes and Nobles I think is 600

I never carry a balance.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe you could add an installment to the mix? If you happen to need one. Or take out a secured loan. Easy peasy.

Message 9 of 15
ksquared
Established Member

Yeah I've never had any loan or have been in debt. So idk if that's the issue. I have no car living in the city since I would never need to drive it and no student loans as I started saving for my college with my allowance when I was 8 and later part time jobs Smiley Happy (thanks mom and dad)

I just opened a Roth IRA and have some stocks but I don't think those have anything to do with credit.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.