cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I open another credit card? Recommendations?

tag
wche
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I open another credit card? Recommendations?

Your current line-up covers a broad range of categories for cashback. Depending on your spending habits, you can add another card if you think you can benefit from it (sign-up bonus, extra cashback category, no foreign travel fees, etc). But I think you have a great collection as is. Personally, I'd suggest Sallie Mae for the 5% amazon, gas, and groceries. 

Message 11 of 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@ojefferyo wrote:

question is do you NEED another card?

Thank you. A very simple statement that says it all.

OP, without knowing you, I will give you this advice: examine your wants and needs. Decide what, if anything, you are "lacking" in your credit profile. Do you have significant spend that is not covered by one of your cards? You have a well rounded list there. Double Cash and Freedom alone will cover a big chunk of your spend, same with Citi Forward (dining).

The problem with a forum such as this, and it's not anything anyone does on purpose, is that we will just tell you "Oh, you need x card for the 5% on gas! And then you need y card for groceries! Z card is great for bookstores" and so on and so forth. While you are asking for recommendations and you are getting them, you and the rest of us all have to consider, are you someone who really needs another card? Are you comfortable having another account to manage? Are your inqs and other aspects of your report suitable to obtain a new card with decent terms? There are so many factors that go into whether you should open a new account, and rewards on a certain spend category are only part of that factor. NOT the whole thing. A signup bonus is also NOT the only reason you should go for a new account.

Since your thread title sounds like you doubt that you need to open a new card, I'd examine your needs and wait. Remember, whatever you open stays with you on your report for ten years so choose carefully. There is no hurry to rush and worry about getting an extra 0.5% on grocery spend. Seriously. It can wait. Mull it over and decide what you need benefit wise and go from there. Once you have decided to open a new card, you could post "What's a good card for grocery spend?" or whatever.

To echo someone else's recommendation I think Sallie Mae would be a fine addition but IMO nothing you need to rush over.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ksquared wrote:

I use credit karama for monitoring my credit. I know the score isn't completely accurate but its always been within 20-30 points too low. but anyways it gives me a D rating for credit lines open.

Heres what I have

Amex Blue Cash

Citi Forward

Citi DoubleCash

Chase Freedom

Target

Barclays Barnes and Noble

and i'm an authorized user still on my moms capital one however i need to get off that now that im 4 years post college and on my own.

I feel like thats enough but should I add another? Im thinking of Discover IT or wondering if you guys have recommendations. I prefer rewards cards and I have around 750 fico score.

Ignore CK's report card bs, Only use it to monitor changes on your TU/EQ reports.

Personally the only card i'd add unless you're looking to travel and have the means to meet spend bonuses is a Sallie Mae as kd mentioned. You have plenty of tradelines to maximize FICO's if that's your thing.

Message 13 of 15
Lyythine
Established Contributor

The short answer is no - you dont need to do anything else to obtain stellar credit (and youre well on your way). Keep managing your cards the same way you have and if you find that another card meets your needs, make the decision to app at that point. 

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't get a new card (or secured loan, or installment loan) just for the sake of getting a new card/boosting score. I believe that empirical testing has shown that 3 cards plus an installment loan is idea for scoring, but that the downside for additional cards/loans is very small. Only get a new card/loan if it fits a need for you. I shop at Amazon a lot, so I like SM. If you don't, it may not be worth it. Since you're in the city, neither a gas card nor a car loan is going to be particularly helpful. You do have a bunch of good cards, so it really is up to you if you have a need that should be filled. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.