Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I open with PenFed?

tag
pattycake
Established Contributor

Re: Should I open with PenFed?

Yes, seven months.  AAoA is more than 4 years, salary this year will end up being about $75K, and I have check stubs to prove payments from my clients (self-employed for business services, virtually no overhead).  CLs are $10.6K with Citi, HD is $5300, Hooters, $5k, Chase is $3700, and I have a few other cards, such as BofA at $2K, Merrick at $2400, Lowe's at $2250, some lesser cards at only a few hundred in CLs.  My util is at 7% and will be lower next go around when Lowe's is paid in full (end of 0% promo period).  

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 11 of 27
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Were I you I would go ahead and app for $10K Platinum Cash Rewards Visa. If declined recon. If recon declined reapp in six months.

Seriously.

Message 12 of 27
pattycake
Established Contributor

Okay, I'm seriously considering...
Message 13 of 27
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

You have more credit and less age than I did when I app'ed PenFed. I have done very well there.
Message 14 of 27
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@pattycake wrote:
I don't really want a new card right now, but I would like to consider switching in a year or two.  I'm just wondering about establishing a relationship with them for future purposes.  Their products are very good, auto loans are dirt-cheap, etc.  Alliant doesn't seem to have the range PenFed does.

As was stated in a previous post do NOT bother until you want a loan or a credit card. Being a member does nothing to help get you a card. Don't waste the inquiry.

Message 15 of 27
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@pattycake wrote:

Yes, seven months.  AAoA is more than 4 years, salary this year will end up being about $75K, and I have check stubs to prove payments from my clients (self-employed for business services, virtually no overhead).  CLs are $10.6K with Citi, HD is $5300, Hooters, $5k, Chase is $3700, and I have a few other cards, such as BofA at $2K, Merrick at $2400, Lowe's at $2250, some lesser cards at only a few hundred in CLs.  My util is at 7% and will be lower next go around when Lowe's is paid in full (end of 0% promo period).  

Self employed does not help. It might work but they are rough on the self employed.

Message 16 of 27
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, if you app good luck. I'm in the middle of a CC app right now too...my first with them.

I had started with them 2 yrs ago with the share account and put in $100. My scores then were in the mid to high 500s. Last Friday, I decided to app with EQ at 719 and 18% util w/ no baddies and 3 new accounts in early December, but no apps since with 9 inquiries from the past yr. I used the hard inquiry to app for a checking, OD account, and a requested $10k CC. I immediately got approved for the first two and the CC is still listed as "Pending" as of today. However, just got an e-mail requesting the past 2 pay stubs and am off to look for them. In short, if you do app give them some time. Good luck.

Message 17 of 27
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@llecs wrote:

OP, if you app good luck. I'm in the middle of a CC app right now too...my first with them.

I had started with them 2 yrs ago with the share account and put in $100. My scores then were in the mid to high 500s. Last Friday, I decided to app with EQ at 719 and 18% util w/ no baddies and 3 new accounts in early December, but no apps since with 9 inquiries from the past yr. I used the hard inquiry to app for a checking, OD account, and a requested $10k CC. I immediately got approved for the first two and the CC is still listed as "Pending" as of today. However, just got an e-mail requesting the past 2 pay stubs and am off to look for them. In short, if you do app give them some time. Good luck.

Pay stubs, eh? Neither of us have ever been asked for anything, but my standard advice is to be prepared to prove your stated income. It sounds like you are on your way to an approval.
Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would look into Alliant and Addison Avenue.

If you can find a way to qualify for membership, then NFCU.

Message 19 of 27
pattycake
Established Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@llecs wrote:

Pay stubs, eh? Neither of us have ever been asked for anything, but my standard advice is to be prepared to prove your stated income. It sounds like you are on your way to an approval.

I did open a savings account with them today, and while on the phone (yes, I did it over the phone), the rep told me I was approved and that she loved being able to tell people that, but that because I am a new member, a LO will have to give it the final okay.  She said it appeared I was approved for the full $10K but to call back on Friday or Monday to be sure.  

So, I don't know if human contact matters or whether it's the same as "pending."   

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.