Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I open with PenFed?

tag
pattycake
Established Contributor

Should I open with PenFed?

I know it will cost me a hard, so I'm debating whether it's even worth it to open a savings account with PenFed to establish a relationship with them, and perhaps see if they'll consider a CC either now or later. 

My most recent account is a Sears CC, now nearly seven months old.  I have plenty of cards, but Cap One and Citi are rate jacking like crazy (still haven't gotten my notice, but I'm expecting it...)

Baddies are almost five years old.  Do they pull EQ?  I'm in Az.   

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I open with PenFed?

try Alliant
Message 2 of 27
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@pattycake wrote:

I know it will cost me a hard, so I'm debating whether it's even worth it to open a savings account with PenFed to establish a relationship with them, and perhaps see if they'll consider a CC either now or later. 

My most recent account is a Sears CC, now nearly seven months old.  I have plenty of cards, but Cap One and Citi are rate jacking like crazy (still haven't gotten my notice, but I'm expecting it...)

Baddies are almost five years old.  Do they pull EQ?  I'm in Az.   

They pull EQ.

Do not join until you are ready to app.

I need more information to render an opinion on your chance for approval.

Message 3 of 27
pattycake
Established Contributor

I don't really want a new card right now, but I would like to consider switching in a year or two.  I'm just wondering about establishing a relationship with them for future purposes.  Their products are very good, auto loans are dirt-cheap, etc.  Alliant doesn't seem to have the range PenFed does.
Message 4 of 27
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Do not join until you are ready to app.

You may have a good chance of being approved right now.

Message 5 of 27
pattycake
Established Contributor

Because it will cost a hard?  I don't have any hards on EQ in the past year.  My UTIL is 7%, no lates in the past 4 and a half years. 
Message 6 of 27
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

What is your income and your CL's. You are getting very warm.

Message 7 of 27
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

If you're newest account is 7 years old, I would wait another 6 months for it to gain some more age and then join PenFed and apply for credit. That's just to be on the safe side though because PenFed is a conservative lender and they like to see age on your accounts, at least 1 year.
Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't believe that anybody here will be able to accurately predict an approval or not. If you are going to join now to establish a relationship then you may as well apply for a card since the same inquiry will be used.  Good luck. I wouldn't wait for a preapproval as they don't always actually mean you are preapproved and you may end up with an inquiry on EQ and TU and a denial.

Message Edited by hobojon on 07-23-2009 10:45 AM
Message 9 of 27
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@YoungEntrepeneur wrote:
If you're newest account is 7 years old, I would wait another 6 months for it to gain some more age and then join PenFed and apply for credit. That's just to be on the safe side though because PenFed is a conservative lender and they like to see age on your accounts, at least 1 year.

You mean 7 months. I app'ed and was approved by PenFed with a very fresh INQ (<1 mo,). I don't know if the account was reporting yet or not. Point is she has older reporting trade lines and they care a lot more about that. Score is good and her lates are acceptible. If the other info I requested is satifactory I would proceed. What's the worst thing that happens? She gets declined? Big deal - if she joins now she will get the INQ anyway.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.