Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I pull the trigger on AmEx?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should I pull the trigger on AmEx?

@doublespaces wrote:

Don't mess up your credit mix by paying off your student loan. keep that in mind.

Crazy talk... I would never worry about a credit mix if I can have debt gone and not pay interest... in addition the positive trade line will still be on reports for 10 years.

If you want Blue, apply... if declined go back and try for charge card... only 1 pull.

Message 11 of 26
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

I just talked to an AmEx rep who said it would be multiple pulls if I tried for different cards in close proximity. Does anyone here have any experience otherwise?

At any rate here's the plan: Get home from this deployment this month, pay off the SL with my travel voucher, and pay down the CCs before the statements close so they show ~5% util, then apply for the Blue Cash Preferred in about a month. I'll also pull an EX Fico to make sureeverything's good. I dunno if I can get the conditions to be any more optimal than that. I'll post when I apply to let everyone know how it turns out.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 26
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I have the Preferred and it's a great card in my opinion.

What is your interest rate on your student loans vs. auto?  Usually they're lower and give you more time to pay.  I wouldn't worry too much with the inquiries.  I was approved for their Preferred with 6 inquiries on EX (2 from them already for other cards) within the last year and 10 inquiries on EX in the last 2 years.  I don't think it's a hard card to get and am not sure why I keep reading this.  Also, you can't buy your EX score anymore, but pulling your other ones may give you a similar indication of what's on your reports.

Please keep us updated!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 13 of 26
IowaGuy
Contributor

Only allow 1 card to show a balance. Make sure the balance is low util for both the card and total lines.
700 Club
Amex Gold PR, Main card, Role: rewards
Chase Amazon Visa, Role: Amex backup
Pen Fed Promise, Role: low APR, balances
Amazon Store Card, Role: 0% financing
Message 14 of 26
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

I guess I meant I'll pull my Experian report and whatever score comes with it (Vantage) just to make sure there are no surprises.

The APR on my SL is 2.11% and the car is 4.69% so mathematically yes it is better to put it toward the car, but getting the student loan monkey off my back after 10 years will be a relief, not to mention the extra $100 a month it will free up. After a couple more deployments I should be able to pay off the car anyway.

After AmEx I plan on rounding out the CC collection with a Visa, probably BofA Cash Rewards or PenFed, then go into permanent gardening mode with one of each V,MC,AX,DSC.

Message 15 of 26
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

I couldn't stand it anymore so I went for it. I figured my MC and Disc both had decent Util and paying off the SL may or may not help. Besides if I don't get it the inq will be mostly moot in a year. I got the dreaded 14 day wait message but I guess that's better than an insta-decline like they've given me before. This is going to be a long 2 weeks!

Message 16 of 26
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Not sure which you applied for, but I hope it was the credit product you wanted.  I noticed earlier in the thread there was a discussion about upgrading from a charge product.  You can't do a product change from a charge product to a credit product.  Only charge to charge and credit to credit.  In any event, hope you are approved.  And worst case scenario if you did go for a charge product is that you would have to take another inquiry later on to get a credit product, not really that big of a deal.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 17 of 26
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Nah, I decided to shoot the moon and go for the Blue Cash Preferred. Dealing with a charge card is not in my long term plan so I decided against that.

Message 18 of 26
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

OK so my itchy trigger finger got the better of me again, (I know, it's only been like 15 minutes) so I hit the app status button and got the following:

Congratulations! Your application has been approved and you should receive your new card within 7-10 days.

Woohoo! Now to call them and see if they can backdate it before they actually send it out.

Message 19 of 26
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@LTomBerry wrote:

OK so my itchy trigger finger got the better of me again, (I know, it's only been like 15 minutes) so I hit the app status button and got the following:

Congratulations! Your application has been approved and you should receive your new card within 7-10 days.

Woohoo! Now to call them and see if they can backdate it before they actually send it out.

Congrats, indeed! It's wonderful to hear that you were able to get the card that you actually wanted. Smiley Very Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.