cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I "replace" my Delta Gold with HHonors Surpass?

tag
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I "replace" my Delta Gold with HHonors Surpass?

Amex told me they are no longer doing pc's in OR out of their HH card. That's what I got through secure message.
Message 11 of 20
Cageym
Established Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

The Points Guy has a point. The AXON and GLON did get a bit devalued but still it's nice to have access. If you call when the AF is due on the Delta Gold I bet they will offer you points or statement credit to keep the card. If you can get something for the fee it's worth keeping at least until your BCE is eligible for CL transfer - then move most of the line from Delta card to BCE and close it?

Based on what nada9188 posted I would have to apply for the HHonors, not PC. Which is okay because it would be the no AF card. And also app for the Citi Reserve. And that actually isn't a bad plan since both earned points will be going to the same Hilton account.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 12 of 20
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

You should definitely look into apping for the no-fee Amex if you think it will suit your spending habits. Just a note, though: With the new award chart and modifications to AXON awards, I wouldn't get the Amex just for AXON. Here is a link to a post on The Points Guy from today:

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/04/new-hilton-hhonors-axon-awards-announced-another-devaluation/

Basically, now AXON might not even be better than booking regularly or using the 5th-night-free benefit available to all elite members.

Nevertheless, if you want to build HHonors points quickly, that would be one way to do it!

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 13 of 20
Cageym
Established Contributor

Here's the thing. For about 2 months out of the year I travel. A lot. Air back to the states, driving in the states, hotels and fuel of course. So for that time period having these two cards makes sense. For the other 10 months being able to earn the HH points by using the Amex HH card for other purchases would help build up the points while I'm not travelling. And Hilton, while not my favorite place to stay does have properties (of different levels of course) in more places (including smaller markets, where you might end up staying while on a road trip) than Sheraton or Hyatt as far as I know. Now it might just seem that I am trying to justify doing this Man LOL I'm really looking at the overall picture and how to work it. If I can get points off of two cards going to the same rewards account it looks good to me. Still in the R & D phase of this but I haven't seen many better options. There's even a Hilton in Phuket, Thailand.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Message 14 of 20
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Cageym wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

The Points Guy has a point. The AXON and GLON did get a bit devalued but still it's nice to have access. If you call when the AF is due on the Delta Gold I bet they will offer you points or statement credit to keep the card. If you can get something for the fee it's worth keeping at least until your BCE is eligible for CL transfer - then move most of the line from Delta card to BCE and close it?

Based on what nada9188 posted I would have to apply for the HHonors, not PC. Which is okay because it would be the no AF card. And also app for the Citi Reserve. And that actually isn't a bad plan since both earned points will be going to the same Hilton account.

Bingo, that's what I did except I got the Citi no fee Hilton. I'm making the spend for Gold on the AMEX so I don't need the Reserve perk for lifetime Gold with card. I have earned just north of 190,000 on the combined cards from January of this year including both bonuses with plenty more spend to come. And again, don't close the Delta until you try to get some value out of not closing (miles or statement credit). The $6K line you have is worth transferring when it's time and has no effect on the 61 day and 6 month CLI requests. AMEX won't treat you special if you close the Delta then apply for the Hilton and it's a lost line. 

Edit: Yes, I can confirm the points earned from both cards go into same Hilton account. 

Message 15 of 20
Cageym
Established Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

@Cageym wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

Bingo, that's what I did except I got the Citi no fee Hilton. I'm making the spend for Gold on the AMEX so I don't need the Reserve perk for lifetime Gold with card. I have earned just north of 190,000 on the combined cards from January of this year including both bonuses with plenty more spend to come. And again, don't close the Delta until you try to get some value out of not closing (miles or statement credit). The $6K line you have is worth transferring when it's time and has no effect on the 61 day and 6 month CLI requests. AMEX won't treat you special if you close the Delta then apply for the Hilton and it's a lost line. 

Edit: Yes, I can confirm the points earned from both cards go into same Hilton account. 

I doubt I would make the spend every year, I just don't spend that much out here so the AF card would be a better option. Other areas I'm exploring are the Marriot card with Chase (I do have an account there, as of now no cards) since they also hhave a lot of properties. The Delta Gold has a lot partners on the card but that goes back to sky pesos so I'm not sure I want to stick there. I have sent a message regarding my tiny limit Cap1 to see about changing that but that was just to see if they would say yes. I'm looking at different things to see what would help me out most during those 2 months and right now it seems to be the 2 HH cards.

Message 16 of 20
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

This is kind of out of left field, but have you thought about adding a 2x-on-everything travel card (e.g. Barclay Arrival, CapOne Venture) into the mix?

They both have no FTF and the nice thing about those is that you don't have to be tied to one hotel/airline brand. You said that you can usually find a Hilton somewhere, and you are more uneasy with Skymiles. So in cases where there might be other airlines, or even in cases where there is a Hilton, but it might not be the best option, a fixed-value card might come in handy.

Right now the Arrival has a 40,000 point sign-up bonus, which equals $440 if you redeem for travel purchases, which is pretty decent. Since you said you're doing some research, I thought I would throw that in as well.

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 17 of 20
Cageym
Established Contributor

CapOne Venture is on my list, I think I don't want to get involved with barclay. After reading these boards for awhile they seem a little sensitive about some things to suit me. The Venture is one of the things I mentioned in my e-mail to their EO but I haven't heard anything yet.

EDIT: These are my options so far. The HHonors combo as specified above (Amex & Citi one $95 AF, one no AF). The Venture (Cap1, $59 AF), it's a good all around travel card and doesn't restrict me to any specific brand. Or the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature Card ( Chase, $85 AF) which I'm not really to sure about Marriott. Out of these three the first one is the only one that would mean two apps, and two HPs.

Message 18 of 20
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I think hilton gold is the most valuable mid-level elite status. The free breakfast, especially in expensive cities, can pay for the AF on a card easily. Yes, hhonors points are devalued, but you still earn a ton of them if you stay at hiltons. I got over 6k points for a 1 night weekend stay at an embassy suites. HHonors is less useful for aspirational travel now that AXON is worthless, but still works well for weekend getaways. My only question for cageym is don't the Amex bonus spend categories overlap your bce? The phone/utilities bonus is gone. The drugstore one ends in May. That will leave bonuses for hilton stays (citi reserve will have higher), groceries and gas. Personally, I'd get the citi reserve and get some stays in. Figure out what hhonors points are worth to you and what kind of redemptions you, personally, are getting. Then decide if 5hhonors points/dollar on gas/groceries is worth it or just taking away from cash back.

I think the hyatt program has the best domestic redemption values, but agree they have fewer hotels. Thats why I like the CSP. If there is a hyatt where I want to go, I look there first and will transfer UR points to hyatt gold passport for the stay. If not, I look for a hilton. If the hilton redemptions are terrible, I'll look at priority club or marriott and again transfer from CSP. If they all suck, I do hotels.com through the UR mall and usually get a few extra UR points/dollar. If you are looking at Venture, I'd also look at CSP, as I think it is a more flexible and valuable card with only a slightly higher AF.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 19 of 20
Cageym
Established Contributor

I looked at the CSP but honestly I wouldn't make the spend to get the bonus. Where I work at meals and housing are provided so my grocery bill is VERY low, I just don't spend that much on food. Like I said only about 2 months a year do I travel so I had to take that into consideration. And I hadn't even thrown my BCE into the mix yet. LOL I got an e-mail asking me to call a rep for the EO at Cap1 so once I can find the time to deal with calling there and dealing with the time difference I'll see what they have to say. The Gold status and the number of properties is the main reason I'm looking at the citi reserve. And the no FTF but most of the cards I mentioned have that feature, except the Amex HH. Hyatt does have better rewards, in fact I think I read they did very well at the Freddy awards but not enough properties.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.