Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I remove myself as an AU??

tag
GFer
Valued Contributor

Should I remove myself as an AU??

I was put on a relative's cc as an AU with a limit of $1400 and a history since 2005. I was told the card wouldn't be used. I even paid the card off to get the utility down to less than 6% ($700). 

Within a couple of months, 'things happened' and the relative charged the card back up to around $1,100.  Would I be better off removing myself as AU than having this high utility on my reports? I have pif up until recently on my other cards with exception of 1 that I am most recently keeping below 10%.

My oldest account is 13 yrs (although closed)
I have an installment loan that is 8yrs old
Another installment that is 3yrs old
A department card that is 3yrs old
Another department card that is 2yrs old
2 new cards (low limits)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I remove myself as an AU??

GFer wrote:
I was put on a relative's cc as an AU with a limit of $1400 and a history since 2005. I was told the card wouldn't be used. I even paid the card off to get the utility down to less than 6% ($700). 

Within a couple of months, 'things happened' and the relative charged the card back up to around $1,100.  Would I be better off removing myself as AU than having this high utility on my reports? I have pif up until recently on my other cards with exception of 1 that I am most recently keeping below 10%.

My oldest account is 13 yrs (although closed)
I have an installment loan that is 8yrs old
Another installment that is 3yrs old
A department card that is 3yrs old
Another department card that is 2yrs old
2 new cards (low limits)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I would remove myself if the card is younger than the average age of my accounts (often found on TU or EQ MyFICO reports). Would also remove if there is a prospensity to be late or default.

DW was an AU on her father's Citi. CL was $6300 but he kept the balance at $6000. Killed utilization and DW never had access to the card. He never was late, but skirted it a few times. It was also older by 5 years in comparison to DW's avg. age. So, we thought that the risk was too high and we removed it. Came off immediately. Her score dropped 10-15 points if I remember. Drop was due to the age.
Message 2 of 3
GFer
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I remove myself as an AU??

As I said, the card is three years old and has never, ever had a late payment.!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.