Established Contributor
GFer

Should I remove myself as an AU??

I was put on a relative's cc as an AU with a limit of $1400 and a history since 2005. I was told the card wouldn't be used. I even paid the card off to get the utility down to less than 6% ($700). 

Within a couple of months, 'things happened' and the relative charged the card back up to around $1,100.  Would I be better off removing myself as AU than having this high utility on my reports? I have pif up until recently on my other cards with exception of 1 that I am most recently keeping below 10%.

My oldest account is 13 yrs (although closed)
I have an installment loan that is 8yrs old
Another installment that is 3yrs old
A department card that is 3yrs old
Another department card that is 2yrs old
2 new cards (low limits)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1/28/14 EQ 817, (6/30/14)EX 821, TU 817 on 6/13/2014

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Should I remove myself as an AU??

GFer wrote:
I was put on a relative's cc as an AU with a limit of $1400 and a history since 2005. I was told the card wouldn't be used. I even paid the card off to get the utility down to less than 6% ($700). 

Within a couple of months, 'things happened' and the relative charged the card back up to around $1,100.  Would I be better off removing myself as AU than having this high utility on my reports? I have pif up until recently on my other cards with exception of 1 that I am most recently keeping below 10%.

My oldest account is 13 yrs (although closed)
I have an installment loan that is 8yrs old
Another installment that is 3yrs old
A department card that is 3yrs old
Another department card that is 2yrs old
2 new cards (low limits)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I would remove myself if the card is younger than the average age of my accounts (often found on TU or EQ MyFICO reports). Would also remove if there is a prospensity to be late or default.

DW was an AU on her father's Citi. CL was $6300 but he kept the balance at $6000. Killed utilization and DW never had access to the card. He never was late, but skirted it a few times. It was also older by 5 years in comparison to DW's avg. age. So, we thought that the risk was too high and we removed it. Came off immediately. Her score dropped 10-15 points if I remember. Drop was due to the age.
Established Contributor
GFer

Re: Should I remove myself as an AU??

As I said, the card is three years old and has never, ever had a late payment.!

1/28/14 EQ 817, (6/30/14)EX 821, TU 817 on 6/13/2014

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+