cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I request a CLI on the Barclaycard I got from Apple?

tag
Scrne011

Should I request a CLI on the Barclaycard I got from Apple?

Hi, I just got a couple questions about the Barclaycard and a couple other general questions.

I applied for a Barclaycard to finance a new latop purchase for school.  The offer has given me 18months no interest on my Apple purchase of ~$1,500.  The credit limit they gave me was $2,000.  So I'm wondering if I could call one of the "backdoors" to ask for a credit limit increase.  I just want to decrease the utilization hit for having high usage of my available credit.

Other than this Barclaycard, I have a Capital One card with ~$400 out of $750 credit limit and a Kohl's card with $0 out of $400 credit limit.  I also have several student loans on their to.  The Barclaycard is the only inquiry in the past 6 months but the Capital One is from July, 2012.  I have credit history back to 2008 with no negative hits against it.  My credit score right now is 680 (TransUnion).  I expect that if I were to pay off these cards, my score would take a big leap up since, like I said, I have no late payments or anything.

So my questions are, besides the obvious pay these off as soon as possible, what other advice can you give me?  Should I request a CLI from the Barclaycard or maybe the Capital One card?  Is $2,000 a high CL to start with from Barclay?  Do you think they will give me an increase on either of these?  Also, what questions would they ask me when I call the backdoor number and ask for a CLI?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Should I request a CLI on the Barclaycard I got from Apple?

@Scrne011 wrote:

Hi, I just got a couple questions about the Barclaycard and a couple other general questions.

I applied for a Barclaycard to finance a new latop purchase for school.  The offer has given me 18months no interest on my Apple purchase of ~$1,500.  The credit limit they gave me was $2,000.  So I'm wondering if I could call one of that "backdoors" to ask for a credit limit increase.  I just want to decrease the utilization hit for having high usage of my available credit.

Other than this Barclaycard, I have a Capital One card with ~$400 out of $750 credit limit and a Kohl's card with $0 out of $400 credit limit.  I also have several student loans on their to.  The Barclaycard is the only inquiry in the past 6 months but the Capital One is from July, 2012.  I have credit history back to 2008 with no negative hits against it.  My credit score right now is 680 (TransUnion).  I expect that if I were to pay off these cards, my score would take a big leap up since, like I said, I have no late payments or anything.

So my questions are, besides the obvious pay these off as soon as possible, what other advice can you give me?  Should I request a CLI from the Barclaycard or maybe the Capital One card?  Do you think they will give me an increase on either of these?  Also, what questions would they ask me when I call the backdoor number and ask for a CLI?

How much UTL are you carrying?

And what is youyr overall UTL?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
Scrne011

I assume UTL means utilization; like how much of my credit I have used of total credit available?  I assume it would be ~$2000/$3150 with the three credit cards put together.

Message 3 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Scrne011 wrote:

I assume UTL means utilization; like how much of my credit I have used of total credit available?  I assume it would be ~$2000/$3150 with the three credit cards put together.

Yes that's UTL

With UTL that high I would wait to ask for a CLI until its about 25-30% and that would still be considered high as well

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

@Scrne011 wrote:

Yes that's UTL

With UTL that high I would wait to ask for a CLI until its about 25-30% and that would still be considered high as well

+1

OP - if you decide to request the CLI, it will be a HP - with no guarantee of a high CL.  Best suggestion is to reduce utilization to maxime your chance of getting a decent CLI when things look more favorable.

Message 5 of 6
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Scrne011 wrote:

Yes that's UTL

+1

OP - if you decide to request the CLI, it will be a HP - with no guarantee of a high CL.  Best suggestion is to reduce utilization to maxime your chance of getting a decent CLI when things look more favorable.

+2

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.