Did you mean: 

Should I take the hit now for DCU??

tag
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I take the hit now for DCU??

@PandiferBear wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

I could never figure out what is so special about DCU. The as low as 1.49% auto rates look good but their credit card seems very boring and the rewards card as low as 11.25% seems a little high to me. Also the double pull one for the account the other for what you want is not fun either. But as for your question OP i would take the HP hit now, build a relationship.  A good CU should always value a relationship over anything else. 

I think this is the draw for many.  I know it was for me.  Will make the trip to the dealership much less stressful. 

Yes but a lot of Credit unions offer similar rates. Their checking accounts are terrible. 0.05 APY!!! Theres a CU in CT that offers 4.99 APY on up to 10k.

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 11 of 44
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@PandiferBear wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

I could never figure out what is so special about DCU. The as low as 1.49% auto rates look good but their credit card seems very boring and the rewards card as low as 11.25% seems a little high to me. Also the double pull one for the account the other for what you want is not fun either. But as for your question OP i would take the HP hit now, build a relationship.  A good CU should always value a relationship over anything else. 

I think this is the draw for many.  I know it was for me.  Will make the trip to the dealership much less stressful. 

Yes but a lot of Credit unions offer similar rates. Their checking accounts are terrible. 0.05 APY!!! Theres a CU in CT that offers 4.99 APY on up to 10k.

True, but in my area credit union loan rates are higher than what DCU offers, so it was worth it for me.  They are not going to be my go-to banking institution.  I may use them for a savings account, because I can put them out of sight and out of mind.

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 12 of 44
leegreen
Frequent Contributor

I am a DCU member, I have an open checking and savings that I do nothing with...fee free though. However its great seeing my Equifax Classic 04 score free every month! My vote would be that the score alone is worth joining...plus you can monitor FICO progress for free! 

I say join now pizza and watch your gardening progress for free!

06/26/2014 - Gardening until 7/1/15
NFCU NavCheck 15k, cashRewards VS 14k, nRewards 14k
Amex BCE 15k, CapOne Quicksilver MC 3k, USAA Platinum MC 2k, Discover It 1k
Jared 5.1K, Zales 5k, Lowe's 15k, Home Depot 5k
Message 13 of 44
myjourney
Super Contributor

SMH Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 14 of 44
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

LMFAO MJ!!! Hahahaha love it!! I'm just thinking ahead here... The app would only be for membership!! Not a cc!! So it doesn't count! LolSmiley Happy I wouldn't be approved for anything credit related right now, especially Being EQ pulled lol!!
Message 15 of 44
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@pizza1 wrote:
LMFAO MJ!!! Hahahaha love it!! I'm just thinking ahead here... The app would only be for membership!! Not a cc!! So it doesn't count! LolSmiley Happy I wouldn't be approved for anything credit related right now, especially Being EQ pulled lol!!

Has gardening changed?

Message 16 of 44
myjourney
Super Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

Sure? The first step is admitting the problem Lol

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 17 of 44
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You guys are killing me!! Lol!!! So you think I shouldnt app for membership now to be able to garden and build a relationship with them for next two years?? Is that what you're really trying to tell me, lol! So instead of taking one HP hot now for membership, let it age completely off, and then apply in two years for their cc, you think I should wait and take 2 HP at the same time in two years from now? Just trying to clarify Smiley Happy
Message 18 of 44
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I'd say go ahead and get the membership started and then eventually maybe preapprovals will roll in. Smiley Happy
Message 19 of 44
myjourney
Super Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
You guys are killing me!! Lol!!! So you think I shouldnt app for membership now to be able to garden and build a relationship with them for next two years?? Is that what you're really trying to tell me, lol! So instead of taking one HP hot now for membership, let it age completely off, and then apply in two years for their cc, you think I should wait and take 2 HP at the same time in two years from now? Just trying to clarify Smiley Happy

You know me I look at the whole pic from every angle ...at least I try to....I'm not perfect but I try to see the value in everything...Lol

So that being said your willing to take a HP FOR?

No signup bonus?

No reward structure?

No Credit whatsoever?

For a free score? 

And the chance of doing business with them 2 years from now?

What's the value of a HP to you?

Edit spell ck

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.