Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I take the plunge with Amex BCE?

tag
navistar
Regular Contributor

Should I take the plunge with Amex BCE?

Just wondering if I have enough cards and one more is pushing it. Dont want to apply for anything if it doesnt seem I have a chance. I only have 2 inquiries in the past 2 years and they will fall off credit score in May and July.

I do like the the idea of building a history with AMEX and any future cards backdating. Citi has allowed a PC on my AAdavantage card which will soon be the Dividend cash back. The AMEX BCE offers more cash back than Citi Dividend.

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692
Barclay Transunion - 682 (Last Updated 03/21/14)

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Current Utilization - 52% / AAoA - 6yrs
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I take the plunge with Amex BCE?

@navistar wrote:

Just wondering if I have enough cards and one more is pushing it. Dont want to apply for anything if it doesnt seem I have a chance. I only have 2 inquiries in the past 2 years and they will fall off credit score in May and July.

I do like the the idea of building a history with AMEX and any future cards backdating. Citi has allowed a PC on my AAdavantage card which will soon be the Dividend cash back. The AMEX BCE offers more cash back than Citi Dividend.

Your scores and data are similiar to mine, maybe a bit better than when I got approved for the BCE. I say go for it.

Word of advice based on experience, if you think you will use the card a lot, go with the BCP. I regret not doing it and plan on PC'ing asap. 6% on groceries and 3% on gas is no joke!

Message 2 of 16
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

CK tells us that the lowest credit score approved for a BCE is 683. Your EX myfico is very close to that minimum.

I think you are cutting it close, I would wait a bit to be sure not to waste an inquiry.

Cards: BCE 24k 5/'17 | CF 12k 10/'15 | IHG 12k 10/'15 | HH 6k 6/'18 | DS It 6k 3/'15 | TR 5k 11/'15
Scores: 760-770 | Inquiries: 0-1 | Utilization: 0-10% | AAoA: 3yrs | Bank: Ally | CU's: Navy & Pentagon
Message 3 of 16
navistar
Regular Contributor

The BCP also has a $75 annual fee so i dont know if i can cover that plus some to make this card worth anything.

As for the second response about me being at the border, i should have a 30 day baddie falling off soon via GW letter and just paid off one of my credit cards to help util %. I should see a few points added on this month. I will wait until then.

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Message 4 of 16
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

@navistar wrote:

The BCP also has a $75 annual fee so i dont know if i can cover that plus some to make this card worth anything.

As for the second response about me being at the border, i should have a 30 day baddie falling off soon via GW letter and just paid off one of my credit cards to help util %. I should see a few points added on this month. I will wait until then.

It's all about usage with the BCP. Run the numbers and see what best fits you I guess.

I will say that at the time, my TU report was about 771 with the others around where you are. I don't know what they pulled but I thought I would give as much info as possible. Same AAoA and about the same Ut.

Message 5 of 16
navistar
Regular Contributor

I appreciate the response. I will be attempting soon. I only plan to use 2 inquiries this year because I want to buy a house next year. I want to get a good cash back card and get a CLI on my GE Care Credit. If either are denied, i wont be making any more requests.

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692

Message 6 of 16
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

@navistar wrote:

I appreciate the response. I will be attempting soon. I only plan to use 2 inquiries this year because I want to buy a house next year. I want to get a good cash back card and get a CLI on my GE Care Credit. If either are denied, i wont be making any more requests.

I got my Discover and Amex at the same time and I use an NFCU card. I have to say that I enjoy the amex the best. It's a simple system with good rewards

Message 7 of 16
navistar
Regular Contributor

Is AMEX the only company that backdates new cards?

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692

Message 8 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@navistar wrote:

One way to get value with the BCP is to buy gift cards at the supermarket  to places you go anyway.  Many large supermarkets have a range of gift cards to stores, restaurants and gas for example.   Buying these in effect give you 6% at those establishments.   When combined with actual grocery spend, it's pretty easy to reach the $2,500 per year threshold which makes the BCP more profitable than BCE

Message 9 of 16
navistar
Regular Contributor

Maybe i should start sending gift cards at christmas.     ; )

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.