Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I transfer a balance?

tag
Onthe27thday
Regular Contributor

Should I transfer a balance?

I have a discover offer for 4.99 apr 0% transfer fee for 18 months.

I was thinking of transferring the below balances to my discover card.

Cap1 1020/1200 apr 17.15

Cap1 Secured 451/651 23.15

Chase 240/400 17.14 apr 21.49

If I do this, it would mean that 5 of my 8 cards would be at 0% utilization. However, it would mean that 2 of the others would be at 50-80% utilization. IDK if transferring balances would look better or make it worse.

Any advice or opinions?

Starting Score (Oct '13): 473 (EX), Current Score: MyFICO EX: 713 EQ: 715 TU: 717, Goal Score: 740 & above. Capital One Quicksilver: $2250, Discover IT: $9500, Chase Amazon Store Card: $2600, Care Credit: $15000, Barclays Rewards: $1850 BCE: 20,000, PenFed Visa Sig: 7,000 NFCU cashRewards $24,600
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Should I transfer a balance?

More info needed ....All cards with all balances and interest rates

You list 8 cards but only account for 7.....(5+2)?

Generally speaking if it saves you money then by all means go for it 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 17
Onthe27thday
Regular Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

I should've explained that, sorry. I have an Amex with a 1000, carrying a small balance that I am paying in full before the 20th of this month.  I do intend to have all except one paid off by the end of 2017, but if you want my pre promo APRs, I am happy to give them.

Amex 179/1000 0 apr 1 yr

Barclays 0/1850 0 apr 1 yr

Care Credit 0/8000 - 23 apr but only charging a small amount every few months to keep active

@Anonymous 2200/7000 1600 is @ 0% from a balance transfer, apr 16.24

@discover 5000/8500 1200 is a balance transfer @ 0%, apr 17.24

Feel free to let me know if anything additional is needed.

Starting Score (Oct '13): 473 (EX), Current Score: MyFICO EX: 713 EQ: 715 TU: 717, Goal Score: 740 & above. Capital One Quicksilver: $2250, Discover IT: $9500, Chase Amazon Store Card: $2600, Care Credit: $15000, Barclays Rewards: $1850 BCE: 20,000, PenFed Visa Sig: 7,000 NFCU cashRewards $24,600
Message 3 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Onthe27thday wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

I should've explained that, sorry. I have an Amex with a 1000, carrying a small balance that I am paying in full before the 20th of this month.  I do intend to have all except one paid off by the end of 2017, but if you want my pre promo APRs, I am happy to give them.

Amex 179/1000 0 apr 1 yr

Barclays 0/1850 0 apr 1 yr

Care Credit 0/8000 - 23 apr but only charging a small amount every few months to keep active

@Anonymous 2200/7000 1600 is @ 0% from a balance transfer, apr 16.24

@discover 5000/8500 1200 is a balance transfer @ 0%, apr 17.24

Feel free to let me know if anything additional is needed.

So in essence you want to transfer another $1711 to Discover for a total of $6711 + fee's?

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 17
Onthe27thday
Regular Contributor

Mainly because of the high interest rates. I checked a few balance transfer calculators and it seemed like it would save a little. Just trying to pay everything off faster and don't want to make the wrong move. If slow and steady is the best way, that's what I'll do.
Message 5 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Onthe27thday wrote:
Mainly because of the high interest rates. I checked a few balance transfer calculators and it seemed like it would save a little. Just trying to pay everything off faster and don't want to make the wrong move. If slow and steady is the best way, that's what I'll do.

That's what I thought so some things you should consider 

The $1200 + 1700 will be under BT rates 

However those purchases roughly $3800 

You should be aware of this......

Credit card issuers are legally required to apply any payment amounts that exceed the minimum monthly payment first to the balances with the highest interest rate, under the Card Act of 2009. That means that portions of monthly payments you intend to put toward eliminating your debt could be applied to new purchases instead.

Meaning it will be applied to the $3800 first so plan accordingly to make sure you can pay what you've charged and both BT's off before the (2) $0% promo ends

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 17
Onthe27thday
Regular Contributor

Thank you for this!
Message 7 of 17
Budoka
New Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Onthe27thday wrote:

Credit card issuers are legally required to apply any payment amounts that exceed the minimum monthly payment first to the balances with the highest interest rate, under the Card Act of 2009. That means that portions of monthly payments you intend to put toward eliminating your debt could be applied to new purchases instead.

Meaning it will be applied to the $3800 first so plan accordingly to make sure you can pay what you've charged and both BT's off before the (2) $0% promo ends

But doesn't that mean anything above the minimum payment due will be applied to the 3800 first? Why wouldn't that be a good thing? I am assuming that he won't have subsequent charges after the BT. 

Also, that would put the Discover card at just barely under 79 percent. I know FICO has no memory but how big a hit can he expect and will it spook the other lenders?

Just trying to understand this myself as well.

Message 8 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Onthe27thday wrote:

I have a discover offer for 4.99 apr 0% transfer fee for 18 months.

I was thinking of transferring the below balances to my discover card.

Cap1 1020/1200 apr 17.15

Cap1 Secured 451/651 23.15

Chase 240/400 17.14 apr 21.49

If I do this, it would mean that 5 of my 8 cards would be at 0% utilization. However, it would mean that 2 of the others would be at 50-80% utilization. IDK if transferring balances would look better or make it worse.

Any advice or opinions?

Since your Discover Card is already at 58%... no you shouldn't.

Carrying a balance on a Discover Card is a trap, and it sounds like you have already fallen into it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Budoka wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Onthe27thday wrote:

But doesn't that mean anything above the minimum payment due will be applied to the 3800 first? Why wouldn't that be a good thing? I am assuming that he won't have subsequent charges after the BT. 

Also, that would put the Discover card at just barely under 79 percent. I know FICO has no memory but how big a hit can he expect and will it spook the other lenders?

Just trying to understand this myself as well.

Yes it is a good thing the caveat is tho the amount paid monthly must be enough to clear all 3 balances and in order to do that successfully 

$3800 must go first ....high APR

followed by $1200 APR 17.?

followed by $1700 on 18 months 

So basically the grand total of all 3 would need to be paid in 18 month or risk paying interest

Roughly ($373.00+ Int ) month 

Spook other lenders ....who's to say maybe yes maybe no 

It's the chance you take when carrying debt Smiley Sad

Sometimes you just can't worry about lenders being spooked you have to do what's best for you and if it saves you money and makes you debt free

Then you go for it 

No different then crossing the street and hoping the person driving the car sees you and is not a drunk driver 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.