cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I transfer my balance from one card to another with low interest?

tag
jmcnyc

Should I transfer my balance from one card to another with low interest?

I have about $7K on a citicard with 22% interest rate.  I have about $13K on a chase card with a low 10% interest rate.  I was thinking of transferring the $7K to my chase card to consolidate with lower rate but that would max out the card.  Does maxing out the card hurt my credit score?   Should I try to get my rate on the citi card lowered as an alternative (I have a good credit score)?  Or do a balance transfer of the citicard to a new card?  

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
althes
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I transfer my balance from one card to another with low interest?

Apply for  a slate, then transfer some of the chase limit on the other card to the slate.

Message 2 of 4
percy81
Frequent Contributor

You would be better off applying for a new Balance transfer card that's offering 0% apr introduction rate than to max out a card that still requires you pay an apr. There are plenty of balance transfer cards out with zero apr and 12-18-21 interest free.
I rather have a new inquire than maxed out status. I just went through the same thing and opted for a citi simplicity with zero apr for 21 months. I see that your wanting to transfer from a citi bank and they don't allow transfers from their own bank. So try the chase slate or the discover if you don't have those two cards. Good luck
Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep in mind that if the balance is on a citicard, then you wouldn't want to do a new BT card with citi. Banks don't, IME, let you BT from one of their products to another. 

Discover could be a nice option as they usually have 0% deals. Don't know what you've got, scores, etc. 

ETA: I didn't see Discover in the post above mine. My experience with Chase/Slate was that I didn't get a large enough limit to do what I wanted. But did with Discover. And Chase has been picky about number of new accounts. Be sure to read those recent threads before choosing to apply for a new card with Chase. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.