Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I try CapOne again?

tag
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Should I try CapOne again?

I just recently had a CapOne CC that was CO'd reach the CRTP and the SOL (phew).  I am into my rebuilding phase and would be interested in CapOne's Credit Steps program.  However, do I dare even try to apply for a new card with them?  I have heard horror stories that people have opened a new card with them while having a delinquent debt with them on another card and having them immediately add the delinquent balance to the new card.  Is this really something they do?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I try CapOne again?

I have not heard of that but I would not apply for a card if you do not get an offer through pre-qual on there website and then even then you can still be denied.
Message 2 of 9
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

While your situation may be different, I have a paid CO with them & have pretty nice scores these days & they gave me a big, fat NO.  No hard inq tho, just a denial letter stating past acct as reason.

I shopped elsewhere.  There's lots of fish in the sea, even for those with less than stellar reports.  I'd go elsewhere.

What do your reports & FICO's look like these days??

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 9
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

My scores are 589 (TU) and 633 (EQ).  I have two medical collections on each report that are from my ex-wife, and they are costing me about 30 points as best I can estimate.  I am also being hurt by new accounts--I bought a house and a car in the past year.  I also took a personal loan about 6 months ago for a PFD that I negotiated with a CA for a bunch of other med debts from my ex-wife (I thought that was all of them, but 2 more popped up from a different CA after I paid the first batch).
Message 4 of 9
laz98
Senior Contributor

you might want to wait til all of those accounts are over one year.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's SO many other companies that will work with you.  And most of them won't pull your credit on all 3 CRA's.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a charged off collections with them years ago. I am into rebuildling now and got approved with ~635 scores through them again. Seemed odd that they approved me seeing as I screwed up once before but it happened. Granted it was a long time ago, around 2003-2004 iirc, they do give 2nd chances it would seem.

Orchard was my first rebuilder when my scores were 590ish after I paid everything off. A few good payments on that and I shot up to the 600s and got approved for capone.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't even remember if I had a c/o with them or not but they recently sent me a pre-qualify letter in the mail so I apped online.  I got a letter from them a few days ago asking to send something to them to verify my address and ssn.  So maybe that is a yes.  We'll see.
Message 8 of 9
MrChairman
Established Contributor

I had a CO account with CAP 1 back in 06. Paid it in 07. I applied for a card with them in Dec. 08 with no pre qual and got approved through their credit steps program. I am up to 1500 CL with them. NO lates or baddies at all with this account. I tried to apply for a different card about 3 weeks ago and was denied, reason being because of the previous CO account I had. Pretty strange but OK. After all, it is Cap 1 here. Since then I have been approved for both a Discover More and Chase Freedom so I'm not sweating them one bit. After these accounts are a couple yrs old, unless they give me a BIG CLI I will have to give them the boot!

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.