Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I try again on AMEX blue or everyday or any of their credit card

tag
romeo105
Valued Member

Should I try again on AMEX blue or everyday or any of their credit card

Hey all,

need some advice.....been debating the last couple of weeks if I should apply for an Amex credit. my recent credits scores are as followed as per my fico.com

EXP: 757 as of 4/26/14.......EQU: 753 as of 5/04/14.........TU:769 as of  5/04/14

iam aware that Amex pulls experian for approvals, my only "baddies" on EXP report are; 9 inquiries total, 2 of which will fall of after the 11th this month, 3 of which will fall off jan of 15', another october of 15' the rest in 16' for I recently increased my CL's (chase & citi did HP) on two of my accounts.  i have students loans....currently deffered for I'AM still in school but total is 18500. Other that that I have 3% util.... on a total of 19750 of credit lines. Also I was approved for green card last yr. but never use it because it's a charge card.... I want a credit line...... its been a yr now as an amex cardmember. 

on February of this year I applied for the blue Amex card and was denied n reasons including " too many inquiries in the last year, balance on installment loans to high ( I did have an installment loan in which I owed over 2k on an original 5k loan but that's completed paid off and reflecting on my most recent EXP report) but I don't know if my student loans was also a problem,  also mentioned was that I was a " new member and not eligible for new card....... Forgot the exact wording  that's what they meant........finally I remember my EXP score was 736 according to them when I called and asked why I was denied......that's all the reason I can remember given to me.

what do you guys think? should i wait for the 2 inquiries to fall off or give it another shot?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Should I try again on AMEX blue or everyday or any of their credit card

@romeo105 wrote:

Hey all,

need some advice.....been debating the last couple of weeks if I should apply for an Amex credit. my recent credits scores are as followed as per my fico.com

EXP: 757 as of 4/26/14.......EQU: 753 as of 5/04/14.........TU:769 as of  5/04/14

iam aware that Amex pulls experian for approvals, my only "baddies" on EXP report are; 9 inquiries total, 2 of which will fall of after the 11th this month, 3 of which will fall off jan of 15', another october of 15' the rest in 16' for I recently increased my CL's (chase & citi did HP) on two of my accounts.  i have students loans....currently deffered for I'AM still in school but total is 18500. Other that that I have 3% util.... on a total of 19750 of credit lines. Also I was approved for green card last yr. but never use it because it's a charge card.... I want a credit line...... its been a yr now as an amex cardmember. 

on February of this year I applied for the blue Amex card and was denied n reasons including " too many inquiries in the last year, balance on installment loans to high ( I did have an installment loan in which I owed over 2k on an original 5k loan but that's completed paid off and reflecting on my most recent EXP report) but I don't know if my student loans was also a problem,  also mentioned was that I was a " new member and not eligible for new card....... Forgot the exact wording  that's what they meant........finally I remember my EXP score was 736 according to them when I called and asked why I was denied......that's all the reason I can remember given to me.

what do you guys think? should i wait for the 2 inquiries to fall off or give it another shot?

Ordinarily, I'd advise waiting for the inquiries to fall off.   However, since this is AMEX, you'll only incur a soft pull if denied, so you might as well go ahead and pull the trigger.

If you're denied again for inquiries then you can wait another month or two and try again.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
changingmantra2
Regular Contributor

You are talking a week here to have a better looking CR -  Just wait.  From what you typed - your CR looks better than mine -   I have some baddies - and at least 9 INQ on EX - and over $80,000 in student loans -  I was approved for a BCE last month - and when I received my card - I had all of the same comments about the negatives on my CR as you did - except the part about having a new account already.  So, that might have been the deciding factor.  It might be worth calling  and finding out.  In any case, it cannot hurt to wait until later this month to apply again.

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
― Maya Angelou
Message 3 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@romeo105 wrote:

If you want better odds then wait.  If you're not concerned since it's a soft if denied then feel free to go ahead.  Given that number of inquiries was listed as a reasons it seems like it would make sense to wait for some to fall off -- especially if waiting means a week.

Message 4 of 5
romeo105
Valued Member

Thank you all for your input.... I have decided to wait until the end of the month..... I will post an update.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.