Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I try for the Ring?

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I try for the Ring?

@ecxpa wrote:

@Anonymous the Ring hard to get because of the interest rate or what?  I've got the Barclay's Rewards MC @ 6.5K......no instant approval on  CLI request to 9K.......been looking at the Ring though.

Barclays seems to have different algorithms for a lot of the cards. In November I was denied Lufthansa Mils andMorecard, then instantly approved for Hawaiian card a few hours later.  Lately I've gotten so many good BT offers from other cards i didn't even bother applying for the Ring. It's a good BT card though. 

Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous @lg8302ch

I gardened for years and didnt even know it.  Now that it's intentional, it's the hardest thing I've ever done.

You and me both! I didn't apply for a card between January 2010 and April 2014, and now it's all I can do to keep my finger off the trigger.

shoot...Ive got yall beat...I gardened for like 8 years and didnt even know I was doing it. I had every card I could have possibly wanted....and then the rest was history(bk) ;(

I almost can't help myself.  I know that increase in util is going to do some damage to my scores (temporary, I know) but I'd love to have something there to offset it. 

Must.  Garden.  

You're Nixon's uncle, I'm sure of it.  hah

Or I could be Pizza's cousin.  stirthepot2.gif

Message 22 of 29
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous @lg8302ch

I gardened for years and didnt even know it.  Now that it's intentional, it's the hardest thing I've ever done.

Oh...I know just too well what you mean. Before I came across this forum here I kind of was a permanent gardener too. My app o rama started end of 2012 with my sign up for this forum here. 😍  But I set my own rules...no more than 1 card every 6 months. This time I jumped the fence for a card that would have been gone..just had to app but my common sense told me that it was not the ideal time for this app and I was ready for my first denial...glad it worked out and happily back in the garden.

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been gardening since my SM app in January. It was an instant approval. I really like the idea of the Ring, but I really don't know if I'd get it. I still have two paid collections from 2012, and lates from Cap One showing as recently as 13 months ago on my TU.  9 INQ on TU, 6 since November. 

As a side note, in the next couple of days, my Discover will report $3707 of the $5500 (previously $0), due to booking vacation on 0%.  I'll be very aggressive at paying it down, but if I'm going to app, I need to do it before it reports. 

Any input is appreciated!

Based on comments from this forum, Barclay is inquiry sensitive. IMHO, I would continue to garden and wait until the EOY to app for the ring. This will give ample time to pay down the Discover balance and allow your accounts to age. Maybe you should wait until January. Your SM cc will be a year old by then. Hopefully, it will go a long way in proving to Barclay that they can trust you. Good luck!!!

On a side note, as your baddies age, they will have less and less impact on your scores. 

Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@B335is wrote:
I would wait 4-6 months in between Barclays approvals especially if you have some negs left on your CR.

I agree. I would wait until January. By then your most recent baddie would be over 2 years old and you should see an increase in your scores and AAoA.

Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the combination of blemishes, inquiries, and a new Barclay card from two months ago would result in a denial.

+1

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

Barclay's is strict with waiting a while before apping for another one of their cards. I agree with the others.

Me too!

Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

New account sensitive more than inquiry sensitive..
Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous @lg8302ch

You and me both! I didn't apply for a card between January 2010 and April 2014, and now it's all I can do to keep my finger off the trigger.

shoot...Ive got yall beat...I gardened for like 8 years and didnt even know I was doing it. I had every card I could have possibly wanted....and then the rest was history(bk) ;(

I almost can't help myself.  I know that increase in util is going to do some damage to my scores (temporary, I know) but I'd love to have something there to offset it. 

Must.  Garden.  

Gardening is DIFFICULT!!! Maybe while your gardening you should step away from myFICO. Focus on PIF your vacation and getting ready for it. It will be difficult at first. Eventually, you will get so wrapped up in other things that you won't think about it. I hope this helps. Good luck!!!

Side note, I have 1 more CLI to request on my BOA credit card and then I'm headed to the garden. During that time, I am planning to stay away from the forum. It can become addictive!

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.