Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I use 5% BT offer (Discover)

tag
ShiningDown
Frequent Contributor

Should I use 5% BT offer (Discover)

(I can't apply for any more cards) so should I take advantage of this 5% BT offer from discover?  0% for 12 months BT and 5% BT fee. Two of  my cards with balances  have 20% apr or more so is this a good deal for my situation.  I have around 800 I could transfer.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I use 5% BT offer (Discover)

Ya I would do it. In fact I did it earlier this yr
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 9
greeneman21
Contributor

great offer, you should definitely take advantage of it. Perks of having a prime card. Smiley Happy

Wallet: NFCU CashRewards 35k-- USAA AMEX 28k-- USAA World MC 22k-- Discover IT 17.5k--Chase Freedom 23.5k-- NFCU NavCheck 15k
Message 3 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@ShiningDown wrote:

(I can't apply for any more cards) so should I take advantage of this 5% BT offer from discover?  0% for 12 months BT and 5% BT fee. Two of  my cards with balances  have 20% apr or more so is this a good deal for my situation.  I have around 800 I could transfer.

It might be worth a phone call to see if they might lower that fee just a bit. I know offers constantly change but right now they are offering me a 3% BT fee.

Just a thought.

Message 4 of 9
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@ShiningDown wrote:

I wouldn't take it. Right now they are offering me 0% for 18 months with a 3% transfer fee, or 2.99% for 18 months with no transfer fee. That offer popped up for me as soon as I was approved for CLI through recon. Maybe you could try for CLI and get the same offer.

Message 5 of 9
lanc
Regular Contributor

Of course take the deal if the bt fee outweighs the interest.  It depends on how long it will take you to pay off the 800.  As other posters stated always call and ask.  I had Citi offer me 2% over the phone when the webpage said 3%.

I just logged into my discover account and they're offering me 1% transfer fee max $29 for 12 months.  I think they just randomly throw numbers at people...

Message 6 of 9
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

Apparently they really want me to take that BT offer...

...too bad the only balance I'm carrying is already at 0% on my Freedom card.

Message 7 of 9
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

Absolutely take it!
Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 8 of 9
compassion101
Established Contributor

If you are planning to pay minimums or a little more each month, then obv take it. You pay $40 for BT or $150ish over the course of the year in inte3rest. $40 is less Smiley Happy

If you think you can get a better offer then try for the better offer first.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.