Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I use DCU Platinum?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I use DCU Platinum?

I'm thinking if I should use this card for future relationship with DCU, like when I apply for a loan with them.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I use DCU Platinum?

I don't think using their credit card would help or hurt with future loan requests.  You have good credit scores and you should easily qualify for top tier rates if you ever apply.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think using their credit card would help or hurt with future loan requests.  You have good credit scores and you should easily qualify for top tier rates if you ever apply.

Actually, I was already approved last time with 1.74% APR, but they're looking for my pay stub, sad to say I can't provide that one because I'm self-employed. I started working 7 months ago, so I can't provide tax returns too. So I was thinking of proving them that I can pay them always by using their card. Do you think that will work?

Message 3 of 7
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

I used it once when I first got it for a BT, but since paying it off I haven't really used it at all. They were the first bank to give me a 5K CL, which was a really useful TL to have when applying for my next round of better cards - but that's also led to me regularly getting 0% BT check offers from a couple of those better cards.

Generally they don't seem to care much about spend, they seem to care more about their members being financially responsible. So I think as long as your overall profile supports giving you an auto loan, it won't really matter whether or not you use their CC. From looking at your signature, you've got much more rewarding options already!

Starting score 3/30/13: 570s across the board
As of 2/17/18: EX 802 | EQ 809 | TU 811

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jamex wrote:

I used it once when I first got it for a BT, but since paying it off I haven't really used it at all. They were the first bank to give me a 5K CL, which was a really useful TL to have when applying for my next round of better cards - but that's also led to me regularly getting 0% BT check offers from a couple of those better cards.

Generally they don't seem to care much about spend, they seem to care more about their members being financially responsible. So I think as long as your overall profile supports giving you an auto loan, it won't really matter whether or not you use their CC. From looking at your signature, you've got much more rewarding options already!

Yes I do, I just applied to their card to prove I can be responsible to loans without providing proof of income. But probably after 2 years, I might have higher score and no need for proof of income right?

Message 5 of 7
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jamex wrote:

Yes I do, I just applied to their card to prove I can be responsible to loans without providing proof of income. But probably after 2 years, I might have higher score and no need for proof of income right?

I don't know about DCU specifically but I believe that is not true for many CU.  It's just part of their normal process to get POI for everything they offer.  I haven't heard of a CU waiving POI before, but maybe the subject just hasn't come up.

If you're self-employed, you'll need to provide financials or tax returns, and based on personal experience, some places require 1-2 years of self-employment before they will approve loans.

Message 6 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

DCU will do proof of income for an auto loan; actually most if not all lenders will.  Credit cards most of the market goes off stated income, that's not the case for unsecured loans or auto / mortgage world.  Bout the only loan I haven't been asked for paystubs or tax returns for is my itty bitty share secured loans.

FWIW I'd use it sporadically to keep it active but I wouldn't put any non-trivial spend on it with the rest of your lineup.  I still have my DCU secured starter card, someday I'll get around to addressing that.  Still got a pretty sweetheart auto loan from them a couple years back when my scores were still 640ish.

        
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.