cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I wait for my raise before apping for CSR? Update: Approved!

tag
JHex2
Valued Member

Should I wait for my raise before apping for CSR? Update: Approved!

Hi everyone,

I have a trip to Costa Rica lined up in March 2018, and after that am looking to travel on my own more, which means I need an able travel card! I just pulled my FICOs and datapoints as follows:

759 EQ 773 TU 758 EX

AAoA is 5 Years 2 Months

I have 2 INQs on Experian from refinancing my auto loan, but otherwise nothing else for the past 2 years.

My question is: I have a raise coming soon that hasnt been announced but its at least 8 percent and might be 13 percent, possibly even more. Should I wait to get the numbers on that raise so I have a better income to report on the app? Current income is 72k

I'm excited to start this new chapter in my travel life and want the card now, but am willing to wait. Thanks for all your advice in advance!

Edit: I put in 75k as my income to be conservative and was approved for 20k!! Thanks everyone! Onwards and Upwards!

FICO (30May2017) EX - 758, EQ - 759, TU - 773

Discover IT - 11500 Arrival - 12500, Fidelity - 12000, Citi Double Cash - 8300, Citi My Best Buy - 5500, Capital One Quicksilver - 3250
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I wait for my raise before apping for CSR?

IMHO there is no need to wait. Your current income is sufficient and, based on your signature, you do not currently have an excessive amount of available credit. Now, if you have a lot of balances, a high mortgage and car loan amount, it may be wise to wait. But I do not think a minimum of $5,760 extra will really matter. 

Message 2 of 6
trant3
Established Contributor

I'd say wait if you'd like a couple thousand dollars more to the SL. Chase dishes out huge SL's on the CSR, mainly predicated on income as well as current limits.

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be good to go right now. I just was approved for my CSR (10k limit) with a 704 fico and 60k income. I did have a CSP with perfect pay in full history which probably helped, but I think you have a great chance of approval!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regardless if you apply now or apply when you get your raise, your verifyable income from your last tax statement is going to be based on your old income.  As others have stated already, your profile and income currently are just fine to get you approved and likely with a very nice SL, so I say go for it.  I'm not sure if Chase would ever accept pay stubs to verify current income based on a raise, but I don't see them asking for it anyway.  If you are 100% sure you're going to be getting that raise in a few weeks, I personally would probably include the low end value of that raise (8% or whatever) into my income now if I were to app now.  Some may frown upon that, but in the event that you were to have to provide pay stubs you could do that in 3 weeks or whatever and they would meet or exceed the income that you put on the application.

Message 5 of 6
JHex2
Valued Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll keep you updated when I eventually apply!

FICO (30May2017) EX - 758, EQ - 759, TU - 773

Discover IT - 11500 Arrival - 12500, Fidelity - 12000, Citi Double Cash - 8300, Citi My Best Buy - 5500, Capital One Quicksilver - 3250
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.