cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i accept Discover It Secured Offer?

tag
VinnyVee
Contributor

Re: Should i accept Discover It Secured Offer?

I took the offer myself. There's a lot of places to get a lot on 5%+ back on their shopdiscover site. Plus in 12 months they review it to unsecure it. It might be secured but it still gets good cash back without an annual fee. The way I see it i i'll be using the money deposited to ear more money back in the next year.

(started in the mid 500s on all 3, 11/13)
As of 5/22/15 EX: 698, EQ: 700, TU: 703
Barclay Rewards: $2750, Capital One Quicksilver one: $4300, Discover IT : $300, Amazon Visa: $100. Best Buy Credit Card: $3000, Kohl's Charge: $300, Express: $2600, Overstock $1650, Chase Freedom $4700, AMEX Everday $1500, Serta iComfort $4700, Walmart $1600, Target $300
Message 11 of 19
JLK93
Established Contributor

You should definitely accept it.

It reports as an unsecured card.

Make as large a deposit as possible.

It will benefit your rebuilding efforts.

You won't regret it.

Message 12 of 19
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@Organiclover1 wrote:

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm thinking I should wait for a few months. My husband applied & they pulled transunion for him,  I was surprised they pulled equifax for me, it takes the secured card 12 months to graduate, & I think I will qaulify for unsecured before that timeframe.

Keep in mind that you will now have 2 hard pulls with no guarantee that when you do apply it will be approved for the unsecured, while if you would have taken the secured card while it was offered, you would already have months of established history as well as the card benefits, but either way all the best to you in whatever decision you make Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too have the secured card. I really hope they start reviewing accounts earlier than 1 year. I wonder if in 6 months can you ask for a early graduation.

Message 14 of 19
JLK93
Established Contributor

So far, no one has received an early graduation for this card. Of course, no one has had the Discover Secured it card for a year, yet.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. Thanks for the update.
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Organiclover wrote: I did the prequailfy on Discover & was offered the secured card, should I accept or wait & apply at a later date in hopes of getting the unsecured Discover?

Discover is my LEAST favorite credit card, i now keep it in my Sock Drawer, i have been to many Restaurants and other Businesses where i give them the Discover card to pay and  they give it right back to me saying we Don't take Discover, i think if you are going to get a Secured Credit Card you should get a Visa or Mastercard, NOT even a Secured Credit Card that runs thru The American Express network because again it is NOT accepted everywhere...

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a secured credit card that runs on the Amex network?
Message 18 of 19
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

I'd take it if it was offered. 

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.