Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i apply for USAA (approved?)

tag
keikdasneak
Regular Contributor

Should i apply for USAA (approved?)

Hi guys/gals

This forum has always been helpful in my decision with credit and learning from other experiences. I am looking to apply for USAA credit card but i am curious if i even have a chance. I want to close 1 of my small balance credit cards and hopefully open another card up with USAA with a better interest rate and higher limit.

Equifax is 728 Fico Score

Here is a little summary of my credit report.

Length of Credit History: 11 Years , 5 Months
Average Account Age: 2 Years, 11 Months

Public Records - 0
Negative Accounts - 1
Collections - 0

Inquiries in the Last 2 Years - 14

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should i apply for USAA (approved?)

Go for it!

When I got approved for my USAA MasterCard I had about a 690, and the only open tradeline was my student loan. I had a handful of old closed accounts and there might have even been a baddie or two in there. They gave me the platinum card because the CL was less than $5000. Within 6 months I had the button pop up offering to upgrade to World MasterCard and had a CLI from 3000 to 11000. I think your previous history with USAA plays as big a part as your CH with them. (You are already a USAA member, right?)  As long as your debt/income ratio isn't horrible you should be OK. They pull Equifax.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

By the way, have you checked your Offers button? There might be one waiting for you, and if so, my understanding is that they won't pull a hard inquiry.

(Someone please confirm that last bit for me, though!)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

By the way, have you checked your Offers button? There might be one waiting for you, and if so, my understanding is that they won't pull a hard inquiry.

(Someone please confirm that last bit for me, though!)

I am also interested -- I recenty went to the Amex site and looked for offers, but they asked for the last 4 digits of my ssn and I got cold feet. I know that's not enough for them to get a hard inquiry, but perhaps they already have the rest? Could the form trigger a hard inquiry?

Message 4 of 20
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Checking for existing offers on the Amex site shouldn't result in a hard pull.
Message 5 of 20
keikdasneak
Regular Contributor

I don't have any accounts with them, and no offers. I applied and got the verication menu to verify some credit items. Then got this message on the next screen.

"Thank you for your interest in MasterCard®. We are reviewing your application. Please print a copy of this page for your records."
Message 6 of 20
Ron1
Super Contributor

I think you might get approved with your score. Your AAOA is a little short. By the way, how many inquiries do you have within six months.  They usually give you instant decision. Did you apply for Platinum Mastercard or World Mastercard?

Ron.

Message 7 of 20
keikdasneak
Regular Contributor

Platinum, also I received all my inquries with 6 months. When I was car shopping.
Message 8 of 20
umair
New Contributor

I was declined with a score of 748... not a clue what the hell went wrong there....

Message 9 of 20
score_building
Senior Contributor

USAA is likely worth a shot at upgrading cc limits and rates with a great lender based on current profile, especially as a full member. 

Consider improving upon the proportion of accts w/ balances to at least less than 50% (looks like 6 out of 8 currently report balances) to potentially increase the odds of landing their most favorable terms.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.