cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i apply for chase freedom now or wait?

tag
ori68
New Contributor

Should i apply for chase freedom now or wait?

I got a chase sapphire preferred, discover it and a car loan in the last three months. My credit score ranges from high 600’s to 748 (with discover). I recently found out about the freedom + sapphire preferred point combo and I would like a freedom card to pair up with my sapphire. My concern at the moment is that due to my new credit lines, my average age is too low and I may get rejected. According to Credit Karma my average age at this point is 10 months, with oldest credit line being 3 years 11 months……………should I wait and apply for the freedom once my average age is above 1 year, or would it matter at this point since I already have the top chase card and the freedom is more entry level? 

Discover FICO 759(04/15)
Barclaycard FICO 763 (04/15)
Citi FICO 736 (04/15)
BOA Experian 744 (05/15)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Should i apply for chase freedom now or wait?

@ori68 wrote:

I got a chase sapphire preferred, discover it and a car loan in the last three months. My credit score ranges from high 600’s to 748 (with discover). I recently found out about the freedom + sapphire preferred point combo and I would like a freedom card to pair up with my sapphire. My concern at the moment is that due to my new credit lines, my average age is too low and I may get rejected. According to Credit Karma my average age at this point is 10 months, with oldest credit line being 3 years 11 months……………should I wait and apply for the freedom once my average age is above 1 year, or would it matter at this point since I already have the top chase card and the freedom is more entry level? 

i would wait another three months if you can and try for freedom. You may get double pulled EX TU , so check your fico scores for those two just to be safe. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if this is helpful but I was approved for Chase Freedom this week both EX and EQ were pulled but not TU. Based on that I would say it might be good to check all three of your scores. Good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
ori68
New Contributor

my TU has 2 pulls, my ex has 10 and my eq 7. But i just got a car loan, and i shopped around for the loan, so im not sure if fico is counting them all, or counting them as one....i ended up with about 7 pulls just for my car loan. 

Discover FICO 759(04/15)
Barclaycard FICO 763 (04/15)
Citi FICO 736 (04/15)
BOA Experian 744 (05/15)
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm certainly not an expert but that seems like a large amount of HP in a short amount of time. Unless you feel you absolutely need the Freedom card right away I would wait as suggested. In the event you were denied, not saying that would definitely happen but worse case scenario, then you could explain the situation during a recon but its not guaranteed to work. With my two cc's I now have 5 HP listed. Cap 1 pulled all three and Chase pulled two so I'm being cautious. Not at all sure how shopping around for a loan is counted, hopefully someone with more experience can chime in!

Message 5 of 6
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@ori68 wrote:

i would wait another three months if you can and try for freedom. You may get double pulled EX TU , so check your fico scores for those two just to be safe. 

This is good advice, as per the norm with mong.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.