cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i cancel AMEX green? Need your expertise! Thanks!

tag
gr33nsuit
Valued Member

Should i cancel AMEX green? Need your expertise! Thanks!

My year is up with AMEX and they charged me the $95 renew fee. So I tried pulling the cancellation to waive but AMEX won't bulge. They actually cancelled AMEX green that I have a year (should I reinstate?). Here are few reasons/questions. Below are my scores and cards. Thank you guys!

1. Since I got the amex a year ago for credit building, would cancelling now get rid of all the credit history?

2. Since I have four other cards, it is enough?

3. I have try to keep my usage under 30% lately, what other ways to improve scores?

4. I need to buy house, trying to build good credit for PenFed, are there other things I need to do?

Current Card

1. Chase Freedom:                    $2500 (almost 1 year)

2. Discover:                                   $2500 (almost 1 year)

3. CapitalOne:                              $2000 (almost 1 year)

4. Chase Sapphire Preffered:   $8000 (just got approved waiting for card to come)

5. Amex Green                             $3000 (result of financial review) (My oldest card, first got it in July 2012)

Current Score

Fico Equifax: 659

Fico TransUnion: 694

Fico Experian: don't know yet

All comments/suggestions are welcome! thanks!

BARCLAY FICO: 782 12/12/14
DISCOVER FICO: 783 12/12/14
|Amex Blue $32,400 |Discover IT $28,000 |Usbank Cash+ $25,000 |Chase Freedom $23,700 |CSP $18,000 | Citi DoubleCash $16,500 |PenFed Cash Rewards $16,000 |SallieMae $12,500 |Citi Costco $12,000 |Citi Forward $8,000 |Quicksilver $4,200 |StateFarm CC $4,000
Start of Gardening 12/13/14
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Should i cancel AMEX green? Need your expertise! Thanks!

Message 2 of 11
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@gr33nsuit wrote:

My year is up with AMEX and they charged me the $95 renew fee. So I tried pulling the cancellation to waive but AMEX won't bulge. They actually cancelled AMEX green that I have a year. So my question should i reactivate it? Here are few reasons/questions below are my scores and cards. Thank you guys!

1. Since I got the amex a year ago for credit building, would cancelling now get rid of all the credit history? No, the history will stay on all reports for 10 years. Walk away. 

2. Since I have four other cards, it is enough? Four is fine. Use them, pay them off but let one report 3% to 7% each billing cycle

3. I have try to keep my usage under 30% lately, what other ways to improve scores? Don't let 30% report, pay them off each month - see answer to #2

4. I need to buy house, trying to build good credit for PenFed, are there other things I need to do? You are close to the magical 700 point. Keep using and paying the cards, let them age, no more apps and you will improve over time. 

Current Card

1. Chase Freedom:   $2000 (almost 1 year)

2. Discover:                 $2500 (almost 1 year)

3. CapitalOne:            $1500 (almost 1 year)

4. Chase Sapphire:   $5000 (just got approved waiting for card to come)

5. Amex Green            $3000 (result of financial review) (My oldest card, first got it in July 2012)

Current Score

Unless you use AmEx cards heavy they don't seem to offer up much in the way of retention bonuses. I hope you got your points out before it closed. 

Message 3 of 11
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@gr33nsuit wrote:

My year is up with AMEX and they charged me the $95 renew fee. So I tried pulling the cancellation to waive but AMEX won't bulge. They actually cancelled AMEX green that I have a year (should I reinstate?). Here are few reasons/questions. Below are my scores and cards. Thank you guys!

1. Since I got the amex a year ago for credit building, would cancelling now get rid of all the credit history?

2. Since I have four other cards, it is enough?

3. I have try to keep my usage under 30% lately, what other ways to improve scores?

4. I need to buy house, trying to build good credit for PenFed, are there other things I need to do?

Current Card

1. Chase Freedom:   $2000 (almost 1 year)

2. Discover:                 $2500 (almost 1 year)

3. CapitalOne:            $1500 (almost 1 year)

4. Chase Sapphire:   $5000 (just got approved waiting for card to come)

5. Amex Green            $3000 (result of financial review) (My oldest card, first got it in July 2012)

Current Score

No cancelling a card will not just cancel or remove its history. An accounts history will stay on your credit for 7 years. No matter if its closed by you or the lender. Also remember now AMEX charge cards are not considered as revolving debt. 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 4 of 11
gr33nsuit
Valued Member

well great. I just realized I have over $120 worth of points. Guess i'll have to reactivate the account temporarily.

|Amex Blue $32,400 |Discover IT $28,000 |Usbank Cash+ $25,000 |Chase Freedom $23,700 |CSP $18,000 | Citi DoubleCash $16,500 |PenFed Cash Rewards $16,000 |SallieMae $12,500 |Citi Costco $12,000 |Citi Forward $8,000 |Quicksilver $4,200 |StateFarm CC $4,000
Message 5 of 11
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@gr33nsuit wrote:

well great. I just realized I have over $120 worth of points. Guess i'll have to reactivate the account temporarily.

Sounds like more than enough to cover the AF

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 11
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@gr33nsuit wrote:

If you've already cancelled your AMEX Green card, I'm pretty sure AMEX will not reopen it.  As I recall from past posts on the same subject, that's one of the reasons folks should think long and hard about cancelling a card, if they are on the fence about it's usefulness.  You'll likely need to re-apply. 

Message 7 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@gr33nsuit wrote:

Since I got the amex a year ago for credit building, would cancelling now get rid of all the credit history?

No.  Closed accounts do not instantly fall off

@gr33nsuit wrote:

Since I have four other cards, it is enough?

Enough is subjective.  You need to make the call based on your needs/wants/preferences/priorities.  If you want feedback then you need to clarify those items with us.  Four is enough for some and not enough for others.  There is not a magic number of cards for everyone.  Number of cards isn't the only factor you should be considering.

@gr33nsuit wrote:

I have try to keep my usage under 30% lately, what other ways to improve scores?

I need to buy house, trying to build good credit for PenFed, are there other things I need to do?

Keep your utilization even lower whether it's through getting higher limits, allowing less to report, a combination, etc.  Let your accounts age with positive information.  Diversify your credit.  You only mention credit cards.  Do you have any installment accounts?  These are all the usual suspects that affect credit and there are no quick fixes to building credit.

How soon are you looking to buy a house?  You don't want to be applying for a bunch of stuff prior to applying for your mortgage.

@gr33nsuit wrote:

Amex Green            $3000 (result of financial review) (My oldest card, first got it in July 2012) 

Why would you close your oldest card?  If your oldest card is from 2012 and you just got approved for a CSP then you really need to let your accounts age.

Message 8 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It is possible to reinstate your account. It depends how long its been closed. They may sp you and charge $25 fee. YMMV
Message 9 of 11
gr33nsuit
Valued Member

what does the last part mean?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.