Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i cancel these cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should i cancel these cards

I really want to cancel my First Premier card an Total Visa card i'm kind of tired of paying a 8 dollar fee a month for a card that has a low limit an i don't evan keep a balance on the card from month to month i always PIF. What should i do people?
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should i cancel these cards

Also i've only had both cards 5 months i just feel like it was a waste in my money paying the up front fees an paying the monthly fees.
Message 2 of 20
score_building
Senior Contributor

do you have any good reasons to keep the cards?  i am the type that would rather go without, than pay extra fees for cards whether they are prime or subprime. 

if they have no good use to you currently why pay more fees? 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 20
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Generally you shouldn't cancel cards, unless it's to get rid of fees. If you have better cards, or can get better, go for that and ditch the ones costing you money.
Message 4 of 20
hyprble
Regular Contributor

If you don't have any balances on other cards, I would call the card charging you a monthly fee and ask if they can waive it or you'll take your business elsewhere.

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KingAdrock wrote:
Generally you shouldn't cancel cards, unless it's to get rid of fees. If you have better cards, or can get better, go for that and ditch the ones costing you money.

Well thats why i wanna cancel just tired of paying the fees.
Message 6 of 20
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I would close them. No point in paying those outrageous charges.
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah i think i'm gonna close the accounts today when i get home from work.
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just thought about something i've only had both cards for 5 months an for both cards i think i paid like 150 in fees up front. I think it would be a waste to cancel the card out now. I think i should wait let them report until may of next year before the annual fee's is due an then cancel both cards. At least i'm getting my money worth since i then already paid for this year basically. Does that make since?

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question

What cards will you replace the current cards with and are your scores to the point of not needing to pay the fees?

TheTaxMan

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.