cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i close my capital one credit cards?

tag
leirbad4
Valued Member

Should i close my capital one credit cards?

Hello,

I find this forums very helpful so when i have a question i turn to here for advises and they work Smiley Happy . Anyways i have a question on my credit cards. I opened my secured credit card with cap1 June 2013 and since then i got the barclays financing card in feb2014 (recently PC to barclays rewards), in april2014 i got the quicksilver one with the $39 AF and just last month i got the chase freedom. I love my freedom card and my barclays rewards specially for the no AF and rewards. But my secured card has $29 AF and i have a $150 deposit in there. Im considering which one to close whether secured card or quicksilver one since they both have AF. Any advices on which one would be the best option without affecting my credit score. My current utl is 11%. 

Thanks 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should i close my capital one credit cards?

@leirbad4 wrote:

Hello,

I find this forums very helpful so when i have a question i turn to here for advises and they work Smiley Happy . Anyways i have a question on my credit cards. I opened my secured credit card with cap1 June 2013 and since then i got the barclays financing card in feb2014 (recently PC to barclays rewards), in april2014 i got the quicksilver one with the $39 AF and just last month i got the chase freedom. I love my freedom card and my barclays rewards specially for the no AF and rewards. But my secured card has $29 AF and i have a $150 deposit in there. Im considering which one to close whether secured card or quicksilver one since they both have AF. Any advices on which one would be the best option without affecting my credit score. My current utl is 11%. 

Thanks 

If you have already paid the AF for the next year then cancel it right before it becomes due again next year, the more time that reports on an individual account the better especially the first 2 years. If you have not yet paid it then I would go ahead and cancel. The immediate effect of canceling it is the loss of its CL in the util category.

Message 2 of 17
MT936
Established Contributor

i say close both if you are able to obtain unsecured cards. they will remain on your report and continue to contribute to your average age of accounts for 10 years after you close them so it is better to close now rather than later just make sure your utiliztion % is low because cancelling will cause it to rise 

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 3 of 17
leirbad4
Valued Member

Thanks guys, i paid my secured card AF just last month and quicksilver 1 when i opened it in april of this yr. I just dont want to keep paying that since i got the freedom and barclays with no AF. I just dont want those to age and then close them and hurt my AAoA. The times ive been declined for credit by discover it was for not enough credit history so i dont really want to mess with it so i'd rather close them sooner than later..

Message 4 of 17
MT936
Established Contributor

it wont hurt your AAoA until 10 years later when it drops off your report so it is best to get it over with and close now rather than later and save yourself from continuing to pay the annual fees. just make sure your barclays and freedom are under 20% utilization when you close. definitely try to get pc to a non af card though

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 5 of 17
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@leirbad4 wrote:

Thanks guys, i paid my secured card AF just last month and quicksilver 1 when i opened it in april of this yr. I just dont want to keep paying that since i got the freedom and barclays with no AF. I just dont want those to age and then close them and hurt my AAoA. The times ive been declined for credit by discover it was for not enough credit history so i dont really want to mess with it so i'd rather close them sooner than later..

I would say, since you paid the AF already on the QS, wait until about March next year and chat online with them.  Tell them you want to upgrade to something without an AF.  Cap1 seems pretty good at upgrades.  The QS isn't a bad card to keep around, without an AF and let is help with AAOA down the road.  On the other hand, I would close the secured asap.  That's just what I would do.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 6 of 17
bk510
Valued Contributor

@leirbad4 wrote:

Hello,

Thanks 

I closed my cap1 secured card after 11 months. It will still report on your file next 10 years so you should be fine.

I would just make sure that all your cards are reporting 0 balance at the time of your closure, so you wont get hit with utilization.

Good luck.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 7 of 17
bk510
Valued Contributor

@bk510 wrote:

@leirbad4 wrote:

Hello,

Thanks 

I closed my cap1 secured card after 11 months. It will still report on your file next 10 years so you should be fine.

I would just make sure that all your cards are reporting 0 balance at the time of your closure, so you wont get hit with utilization.

Good luck.

As for your QS1 with AF, I would keep it for few more months and contact EO to have your AF removed.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 8 of 17
One7
Valued Contributor

Close them before the month before the next AF hits that way you'll have more reporting on them. You've already paid the AFs so you might as well get maximum reporting from them. Your credit report will look much better to lenders with 12 "paid in full" green squares on it then just a couple, it'll stay on your report for 10 years.

Edit:Typo

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 9 of 17
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

As a PSA, federal law requires issuers to refund annual fees upon cancellation within 60 days of the AF post date.

Therefore, OP can cancel the secured card today and get their money back.

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.