Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i close orchards now ?

tag
AllPro
Contributor

Re: Should i close orchards now ?

I dont feel hijacked at all. I also think it's important for us/you, to make your point in a freindly manner. We would all be missinformed if we went soley on one persons thought/opinions and actions.

Starting Score: EQ 729 TU 727
Current Score: Ex (AMEX) 765 EQ 734 TU 736
Goal Score: 780+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 31 of 37
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@AllPro wrote:

I dont feel hijacked at all. I also think it's important for us/you, to make your point in a freindly manner. We would all be missinformed if we went soley on one persons thought/opinions and actions.

This is indeed true.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 32 of 37
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@lbdebtfree wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

How would closing them drop scores?

Look at his debt to credit limit ratio and his utilization.  If he is using anywhere close to the limits or carrying high balances on the two cards he intends to keep before he closes those other two accounts, this would not be a smart move. 

As I believe someone stated, if he did so, he should ensure he has a 'zero' balance on all his cards because once he closes those two accounts his debt to credit ratio is going to go up.  Thus his %util will be higher also.  Also must keep in mind if he doesn't get more credit he will have to ensure he charges less or else it will take him over his util% faster.

Couple things he could do if he's adamant to close them.  Seek CLI's on the cards he intends to keep or take advantage of that high credit score just in case his score would take a dip by applying for a no AF card to replace them, then close those cards out.

Yeah his Orchard card limits don't seem high but looking at his total credit limit they're carrying some weight~

Thank you for this. An explanation of why you voice an opinion such as Closing both might cause a significant drop in your credit scores bringing you well below 700 is always a good thing upfront. It leads to fewer questions and less confusion.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 33 of 37
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Going from 4 tradelines to 2?

Unless you have other installment-type loans in your report, I'd go open up replacements before closing.  Yes I know people have hit 800 with only two cards, I'm of the opinion that's not the most efficient method of doing so.

Heck, from what I've heard on recons, you may be able to use "closing" one or both of those cards as a selling point to Amex / Discover / et al in applying for the basic prime cards.  Get the new tradelines while you still have older, open ones (still gaining that payment history) to offset it.... once you close them, the line is drawn in the sand on those accounts.  Then again, all the money I've spent on inane things, a $59 AF is the least of my financial worries, and one year is probably a second seasoning bucket and likewise at 3 years possibly a third, so I'd just pay it and go on with life. YMMV.

        
Message 34 of 37
lbdebtfree

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Thank you for this. An explanation of why you voice an opinion such as Closing both might cause a significant drop in your credit scores bringing you well below 700 is always a good thing upfront. It leads to fewer questions and less confusion.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

I don't see what was confusing about what i said to begin with.  Must've not been too confusing for the person i was actually writing to didn't ask me to clarify myself Smiley Happy

"Being wealthy is all great but living comfortable and care free is better."

Jan 2012 CK FICO ~ (Ex) 666, (EQ) 650, (TU) 628
Feb 2012 CK FICO ~ (Ex) 666, (EQ) 657, (TU) 652

Lowest Known Score 530's. Goal Score: 720
Message 35 of 37
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@lbdebtfree wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

From a BK years ago to:

I don't see what was confusing about what i said to begin with.  Must've not been too confusing for the person i was actually writing to didn't ask me to clarify myself Smiley Happy

You do have valid points about it Ibdebtfree, but the OP and others may not understand it fully when others (such as myself) were giving other reasons. It may be best to add "YMMV" (your miles may vary) to some statements as to let others know that your situation could be different and this is only my opinion on it. And yes, I am guilty of this as well! Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 36 of 37
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

This was a fun thread.  We've got drinks waiting for both of you in the garden.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.