Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i close this card?

tag
farmgirljen
Valued Member

Should i close this card?

I got my first card in Feb of this year- a secured $500 visa through my CU. Since then, my scores have rocketed from low 500's to mid 600-s and I have gotten a $500 unsecured  cap 1 card, a $300 best buy mastercard, a $250 walmart card, and a $500 Dress Barn card... I am pushing 6 months on the secured card, I don't use them much at all, so would you try to get it unsecured and if they won't would you close it?  I am anticipating another score jump as well this next week when the cards report all 0 balances(last balance was $29...

Starting Score: EQ 581,NO TU
Current Score: TU 676, EQ 663 EX 653
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should i close this card?

Why not just wait until it unsecures? CUs are often generous and might reward you with a nice CLI. The card isn't hurting you, in fact its only helping you and your HSBC has a lower CL than that. Personally I would rather have a CU card than a Cap1 or HSBC card anyway. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I assume you like your CU.   If so, keep it until it graduates.

Message 3 of 4
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why not just wait until it unsecures? CUs are often generous and might reward you with a nice CLI. The card isn't hurting you, in fact its only helping you and your HSBC has a lower CL than that. Personally I would rather have a CU card than a Cap1 or HSBC card anyway. Smiley Happy

+1

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.