cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i settle for Green or go all out for PRG?

tag
learningcredit101
Established Member

Should i settle for Green or go all out for PRG?

I am contemplating on applying for my first AMEX soon (just waiting for next statement to report to bump my score), and i am debating on one thing. Should i apply for the green and gradually get an invitation for the PRG, or apply for the PRG? The reason i say this is because i only make 33k a year and i heard that for the prg you need around 50k to be approved. My ex score is 745, but im only 20 and have an AAoA of 1.3.

Ex: 745
Macys: 2.5k
Wells fargo:2.6k
Amex Hilton Hhonors Surpass: 2k
Amex PRG: NPSL
Citi AA: 3.4k
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Re: Should i settle for Green or go all out for PRG?

IIRC, the underwriting is the same for all of the charge cards. Go for the one you want and not settle for the Green.
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 2 of 19
Exonumist
Established Contributor

PRG. They have the same approval criteria. Get the sign up bonus and if you don't use the card enough to justify the annual fee downgrade to Green in a year.

Message 3 of 19
Stralem
Established Contributor

@learningcredit101 wrote:

I am contemplating on applying for my first AMEX soon (just waiting for next statement to report to bump my score), and i am debating on one thing. Should i apply for the green and gradually get an invitation for the PRG, or apply for the PRG?

PRG. Better rewards, and the $175 fee is waived for the first year.

The reason i say this is because i only make 33k a year and i heard that for the prg you need around 50k to be approved.

Hahahahahaha... What the hell?

Dude.

I got my PRG with a reported income of $29k.

My ex score is 745, but im only 20 and have an AAoA of 1.3.

The charge cards, from the green to the platinum, can be obtained with scores much lower than that. We're talking sub-650.

With your scores, you have a good shot at qualifying for a revolver of your choice.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 4 of 19
bobbay
Established Contributor

Go for the Gold!  Never settle

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 5 of 19
Legen_dary
Frequent Contributor

Go for the PRG, if you go for the Green, you won't be able to upgrade for 13 months! I've spent almost $25k on my green this year and no invitation to upgrade from AmEx... oh well only 2 more months for me. Though I'm probably going to apply for an Everyday Preferred at this point. More MR points than PRG... plus upgrading won't get me any bonus points.

Message 6 of 19
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with others.  Underwriting is the same, no-brainer - go for PRG.

Message 7 of 19
learningcredit101
Established Member

One more question. Will american express decline a transaction if they see that im spending too much keeping in mind what i make? I ask this because i plan on letting my parents use it as well for gas and groceries, and they will pay me when the statement is due.

Message 8 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

One more question. Will american express decline a transaction if they see that im spending too much keeping in mind what i make? I ask this because i plan on letting my parents use it as well for gas and groceries, and they will pay me when the statement is due.

If your AU make your spending exceed your income there is a better chance for Amex to FR to see exactly what your income is on your taxes and then based on that set a hard limit for you.

I'm usually the last person to even think about FR's and scare someone about it but AU use that exceeds your own use seems to be a far more likely to FR then your own actual spending (my partners cards were FR'd because of me as AU spending that's why I mention it... now if you are talking about say $1k spending from both parents a month or something I probably wouldn't worry about it, if we are talking $5k might have an issue!

Message 9 of 19
learningcredit101
Established Member

@Creditaddict wrote:

If your AU make your spending exceed your income there is a better chance for Amex to FR to see exactly what your income is on your taxes and then based on that set a hard limit for you.

I'm usually the last person to even think about FR's and scare someone about it but AU use that exceeds your own use seems to be a far more likely to FR then your own actual spending (my partners cards were FR'd because of me as AU spending that's why I mention it... now if you are talking about say $1k spending from both parents a month or something I probably wouldn't worry about it, if we are talking $5k might have an issue!

Since you mentioned the financial review, will they fr me if i spend more then what i make? I recently got a promotion at my job and now make significantly more than i used to, so if they fr me then i would have to send the tax forms which say i make 10000 dollars less thwn i do now. So on the app should i put my old or new income?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.