Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we app for more or garden?

tag
lmfields84
Regular Contributor

Should we app for more or garden?

My husband just got approved for a $5k NFCU cash rewards card and a walmart store card.  We also refinanced his truck and took out a consolidation loan.  I want to garden, but i read somewhere that if you have 2 installment loans, you should have 4 ctedit cards for a good mix of credit... Is that true?  If we need a couple more cards before heading to the garden, i would like to do it now before the new loan and card report.  Thoughts?  If we should app for more, what cards are reccomended for a FICO of 633 or around that (dont know his EX or TU FICO right now)? 

Our 2014 Rebuilding Log- Check Out Our Progress!
In Our Wallet: NFCU Cash Rewards $14k | NFCU LOC $15k | NFCU LOC $12k | NFCU Platinum Visa $8.5k | NFCU Platinum MC $1k Discover IT $1400 | Walmart Store Card $1.4k | Synchrony $1k | ToysRUs $500
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Airforcekid
Established Member

Re: Should we app for more or garden?

You could try for a Discover IT and Amex everyday you will probably be rejected for one but you might as well take a few more HPs since they are all going to be grouped together. I dont really see any other good cards worth trying for with that score though.

NFCU Cashrewards $3,500| Navcheck $7,500| Discover IT $500| AMEX $6000| CS:724
Message 2 of 8
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Why is the score low?

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 3 of 8
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@Airforcekid wrote:

You could try for a Discover IT and Amex everyday you will probably be rejected for one but you might as well take a few more HPs since they are all going to be grouped together. I dont really see any other good cards worth trying for with that score though.

With those scores I wouldnt waste the HP trying for those cards as it's almost 100% you'll be declined.

Why are the scores so low?  Is it utilization?  Baddies?

EDIT:  I should add it's not that your scores are dreadful; just not (yet) in the AMEX or even Discover ballpark.  Most people need ~680+ for Discover and ~700+ for AMEX.  There are exceptions of course, but I hate to see people waste hard pulls when chances are very slim.  Another option might be the eBay/Paypal MC.  They are easier to get, and if you don't qualify for the Mastercard, you would pobably get the store version (this is assuming you use paypal or ebay).

Message 4 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@lmfields84 wrote:

but i read somewhere that if you have 2 installment loans, you should have 4 ctedit cards for a good mix of credit... Is that true?

Never heard that.  Where is it from (always consider the source)?  The general advice is at least 2-3 cards for optimal scoring but I've never seen a card to installment ratio.

@mountainmom wrote:
Why is the score low?

@Dw4250 wrote:

Why are the scores so low?

OP has a rebuilding log linked in signature that you can read if you're curious.

Message 5 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@lmfields84 wrote:

but i read somewhere that if you have 2 installment loans, you should have 4 ctedit cards for a good mix of credit... Is that true?

Never heard that.  Where is it from (always consider the source)?  The general advice is at least 2-3 cards for optimal scoring but I've never seen a card to installment ratio.

@mountainmom wrote:
Why is the score low?

@Dw4250 wrote:

Why are the scores so low?

OP has a rebuilding log linked in signature that you can read if you're curious.

+1 takeshi74

I've never heard of a set number of installments either 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 8
lmfields84
Regular Contributor

I believe the score isn't moving because of no revolving credit reporting (yet)... Just a student loan and auto loan.
Our 2014 Rebuilding Log- Check Out Our Progress!
In Our Wallet: NFCU Cash Rewards $14k | NFCU LOC $15k | NFCU LOC $12k | NFCU Platinum Visa $8.5k | NFCU Platinum MC $1k Discover IT $1400 | Walmart Store Card $1.4k | Synchrony $1k | ToysRUs $500
Message 7 of 8
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Airforcekid wrote:

craziness.  HPs for credit cards don't get grouped together like that.

OP, you don't need more credit cards to match your installment loans.  But, having more than 1 credit card is proven beneficial, most recommend two or three.  If you are going to apply for another card, I would try for the Discover, but you will be prepped for better future approvals if you garden what you currently have to get your scores up and put some positive history on your reports.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.