cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we do a BT with Chase (BT virgins here)?

tag
ncscgirl2005
New Contributor

Should we do a BT with Chase (BT virgins here)?

We have a Chase Disney Rewards Visa that we've had for a little over a year. The limit was just raised to $9,800 and we currently have a $100 balance that we will be paying off next week. 

We received some balance transfer checks from Chase for 0% for 9 billing cycles at a BT rate of 3% ($50 max).

We have a GM card with a $4,800 balance ($5,500 limit) and Military Exchange Card with a $2,500 balance ($7,500 limit) that we want to transfer to this Chase card to take advantage of the 0%.

We are sure we can pay off the entire balace at 0% within the nine cycles but we have never done a BT before and I am afraid something will go wrong in the process such as Chase reducing our line of credit before we can pay everything off.

Does it seem like a wise idea to go ahead and transfer these high balances to Chase? I'm really nervous about doing this but I can send those checks off today if you all make me feel better about it. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by ncscgirl2005 on 12-17-2008 10:15 AM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Re: Should we do a BT with Chase (BT virgins here)?

If you are sure you can pay the balance off within the 9 months I would go for it. Chase is very good with balance transfers. Assuming you are at a good interest rate on your other cards (8%) you will save ~$250 in interest. So after substracting out the $100 BT fee ($50 x 2) you would save ~$150 over the 9 months. Obviously if your interest rates are higher than 8% you would save even more ($370 is 12%).

One word of caution. After doing a BT do not use your chase card for any purchases until the BT is payed off.

Good luck.

Cheers 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can pay it off id go for it.
Message 3 of 9
ncscgirl2005
New Contributor

@cobaltnv wrote:

One word of caution. After doing a BT do not use your chase card for any purchases until the BT is payed off.

Good luck.

Cheers 

We have one automatic charge on that card of $18 each month. Should we cancel that?

Message 4 of 9
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

I would move the automatic charge to another card. The credit card company will apply any payment to the lowest interest rate balance first. So the $18/month will sit on the card at whatever interest rate your card has costing you some additional $$. Of course $18/month for 9 months is not going to be a large amount of interest, but why pay it if you do not have to Smiley Happy

Cheers

Helpful Threads
Message 5 of 9
Established Contributor

@ncscgirl2005 wrote:

We received some balance transfer checks from Chase for 0% for 9 billing cycles at a BT rate of 3% ($50 max).

We have a GM card with a $4,800 balance ($5,500 limit) and Military Exchange Card with a $2,500 balance ($7,500 limit) that we want to transfer to this Chase card to take advantage of the 0%.

Does it seem like a wise idea to go ahead and transfer these high balances to Chase? I'm really nervous about doing this but I can send those checks off today if you all make me feel better about it. Smiley Wink

You could use a BT check to transfer all of the funds into your checking account. You could pay the other cards off with  personal checks. That way you would only have one BT fee capped at $50.

I would first contact Chase and verify that the BT checks can be deposited into checking at the 0% $50 fee capped terms. 

Next I would wait until your Chase statement drops and then deposit the check. The balance won't appear on your credit reports until the next statement date. That gives you time for any holds on the check to expire. Pay the other cards off when the Chase check clears.

If you don't care about saving the extra $50 capped fee, just do the BTs directly. I personally would rather my other creditors saw the accounts were being paid in full from my checking account instead of  BTs from another card. Smiley Indifferent

Message 6 of 9
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

@CreditAble wrote:

You could use a BT check to transfer all of the funds into your checking account. You could pay the other cards off with  personal checks. That way you would only have one BT fee capped at $50.

I had not thought of that. Great idea!
Cheers 

Helpful Threads
Message 7 of 9
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Chase is very comfortable with BT's.  As long as you can pay it off in 9 cycles there really is no downside.  But sock drawer the GM card and MEC so you are not tempted to run them up again.  Easiest way to do the BT's are to do it over the net, that same offer should appear on your online account.  (I just hate writing and mailing checks).  Once the transfer is complete divide the total transferred amount by 9 and immediately set up an auto pay from your bill payer account (assuming you have one) for the next 9 months so it is automatically paid from your checking account.  That way you don't have to be constantly monitoring and having to remember to pay the bill each month.

Changing the $18 automatic charge each month is a hassle.  Interest on $18/mo, even at 24% APR, is only about $0.36, not worth worrying about, imo.

Message Edited by Watchmann on 12-17-2008 04:41 PM
Message 8 of 9
ncscgirl2005
New Contributor

@CreditAble wrote:

@ncscgirl2005 wrote:

I would first contact Chase and verify that the BT checks can be deposited into checking at the 0% $50 fee capped terms. 

Next I would wait until your Chase statement drops and then deposit the check. The balance won't appear on your credit reports until the next statement date. That gives you time for any holds on the check to expire. Pay the other cards off when the Chase check clears.

If you don't care about saving the extra $50 capped fee, just do the BTs directly. I personally would rather my other creditors saw the accounts were being paid in full from my checking account instead of  BTs from another card. Smiley Indifferent

Thank you. I had not thought of this even though the letter clearly states that I can use the checks to deposit extra money into my checking account. I think I will go this way because I was also worried about whether or not the other companys (GM and MEC) would cash these checks within the promotional timeframe given by Chase (1/31/09). Thank you for the suggestion.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.