Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we keep the CSP

tag
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

Should we keep the CSP

Mom recently got approved for CSP for 25K @ 16.99. After thinking things through we really dont have the spend for the CSP to justify the annual fee. We did meet the spend bonus though due to trip to Mexico. (Reason we got it). We are considering one of the two cards. Discover IT she is prequalifed at 11.99% has 5% back rotating categories and no annual fee. And NFCU More American Express she is preselected for we dont know the APR though. Scores. Range from 750-797 depending on CR. AAOA 5.5 years 3-6 inqs on each depending on CR. Now they major question at hand is if we go with Discover how are there SLs. I know Navy can be very generous. Just some feedback on what you guys think would benefit the most and get the most rewards.

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Should we keep the CSP

Determining Discovers starting limits is impossible as they are often all over the map regardless of score. However, ive noticed, as many here will attest, that lately, Discover has been handing out better sl's than cli. Hoping to get a 25k line off the bat from Disco id imagine one would have better odds at learning how they decide which monkey throws the dart for cli TuesdaySmiley Wink
Message 2 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

If you're not bulking up the UR points for redemption through Chase for travel (or using them to filter into another rewards program), I agree it makes no sense for her to keep.  She could product change it to a Chase Freedom card with no annual fee and 5% revolving categories, though.  They sometimes overlap with Discover, but not always.  Many of us have both.

The APRs are only going to matter if she is carrying a balance (other than pride, and I admit I care about my APRs) and carrying a balance on any rewards-earning card is going to negate some or all of the rewards.  Discover can be all over the board when it comes to SLs.  Some of us with good scores got really low lines (mine was $2500 for example) and some people with borderline 700ish scores have been reporting large starting lines lately.

With her profile, it sounds like she should be approved for practically any product on the market.  I would decide what type of rewards she likes (assuming cash back rather than travel?), examine what she actually spends on and choose whatever card best rewards her.

Message 3 of 5
RadioRob
Established Contributor

It's very difficult to figure out what sort of SL you might get. However antidotally, the NFCU AMEX has not been been coming with Navy's traditionally generous limits.

Discover... man.... others have said this before and I agree. They're a magic 8 ball. Shake it and see what you get. It could be something awesome or it could be a major yawn.
Message 4 of 5
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

With her profile, it sounds like she should be approved for practically any product on the market.  I would decide what type of rewards she likes (assuming cash back rather than travel?), examine what she actually spends on and choose whatever card best rewards her.

+1

Cl's can be increased over time, should be of minimal consideration as to best card

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.