Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shrinking my cc collection

tag
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Re: Shrinking my cc collection

@Anonymous wrote:

I plan on slowly closing each of them for the next 3 years. I will only be keeping my chase, amex, discover and boa cards. Everything else will be closed for good. 

What cards are you planning on closing?

Message 41 of 44
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I cleaned up about 15 cards this year for the same reason. I'm down to 5. Feels a lot better. My score didnt take much of a hit.

What were your credit limits on your now closed accounts? Open accounts? Curious...🙂

Message 42 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

The other side of this argument.

Now check this out.  Some people are happy with 1 credit card.  Imagine a monthly spend of $3k on 1 card (for someone who lives paycheck to paycheck).

Imagine having 12 cards and only $30-$150 on each during the month.  If you got yourself into a bind, paying back your lenders would be simple.

There is always a chance of fraud where someone uses your card, even if you sock drawer the card.

Does it not give you more of a piece of mind owing small balances across a dozen cards rather than a large amount on one?

You never get overwhelmed with what you owe unless you're the type who maxes out every card.

If I spent $12,000 a month on credit cards I would not want it all on one card.  Might turn into $24,000 balance the next month.

Banks hate me for this mindset because they make money on swipes.

Message 43 of 44
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

I have always gone with sock drawer it.. But now I'm in the close it if you feel like it camp. I actually closed my Chase FU today.. No card number reduction since I just added Marvel MC but I'm going to make sure my available CL stays under 100 grand.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 44 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.