Frequent Contributor
youngman1234

Sick and Tired of Amex Gold

I really liked my gold charge card at first, until I was FR'd back in Feb. They set a hard limit to 3k. At the time it was fine cus I wasnt spending that much, I was only pushing 2k. Now for the past 2 months I keep hitting the 3k limit and getting emails, please pay so that your card doesn't get declined. I have to keep making multiple monthy payments. This weekend I made 5 payments ( they don't even let me make multiple payments online) !!!! This is seriously crazy. All my family and friends have a 20-30 internal limit and they gave me a stupid 3k limit. I already surpassed the 30k spending and get an additional 15,000 bonus points. GOT THE EMAIL 2 DAYS AGO AND THEY SAID THEY GAVE IT TO ME BUT AS OF TODAY NO 15,000 BONUS POINTS.

Anyway I can't wait until I get back to NPSL, or at least a 10k hard limit.

Anybody have any experience with this ???

On a side note I have a chase bold for my business with 35k spending limit....lol
Frequent Contributor
jd5189

Re: Sick and Tired of Amex Gold

The bonus points are typically credited about a month after they "give" them to you. When I got my Zync, I had a spend some amount (I forget) and get 10k mrp's. I never got them, called and they said they would credit them to me. It took about one billing cycle. As for the limit, I don't know wha advice to give you on that 

In my wallet: Amex PRG & Zync, Amex BCE (19.2k), Chase Freedom (5k), PSECU Visa/PSL (20k)
Current Scores: Equifax: 738 (Fako) TransUnion: 721 (Fico) Experian: 717 (Fico)
Disclaimer: I am by no means a financial advisor. My posts are based on opinion, experience, and/or knowledge.
Established Contributor
Koop10010

Pretty recently somebody was on here posting that he had his hard limit removed from his charge card, so it does happen.  If it hasn't happened after a year, I'd suggest calling Amex about it.  If you're really anxious about it, you could go ahead and call now and inquire about it.

FICOs (2/24/12): EX 752, EQ 740
Chase Sapphire Preferred, Freedom; American Express PR Gold, Blue Cash Everyday
Frequent Contributor
youngman1234

Really hopefully there is hope out there.
Frequent Contributor
youngman1234

Do you remember was it a year after FR or a year after having the card ??
Established Contributor
n777ua

I believe the hard limit is removed after 1 year.  Mine was, and that tends to be the experience of most others.  AFAIK, Amex will not remove this earlier than 12 months.

Amex Green NPSL, Amex BCE $19.7k, Amex HH Surpass $11.3k, Amex Business Gold NPSL, Chase Ink Bold $15k (flex) Chase United $5k, Chase Sapphire Preffered $21k, Citi Diamond $13.3k, Citi TY Preferred $10.5k, Virgin Atlantic Amex $8k, Discover Motiva $10k, Boa World Elite $10k, US Bank Visa $4.1k, GE Amazon $4k, GE Lowes $6k, BillMeLater $4.4k, Target $.2k, CapOne $2k Von Maur NPSL,
Frequent Contributor
youngman1234

n77ua,

One year from having the card or 1 year from the limit being placed. I got the card in Nov 2011, limit was placed Feb 2012.
Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy

just out of curiosity, why did they FR you to begin with?

I just don't want to get FR'ed on my new Amex BCE revolver...

that would suck.

lol

Best wishes!

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | CSP $10k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $5k | Express $3.05K | Myponts.com Visa $3.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Frequent Contributor
youngman1234

I don't think revolvers get Fr'd.... It was my spend habits. I ran like 300 first month, 1200 second, 8-9k third. 3rd month spent like 2k then paid spent again then paid balance was never over 3.5k at any given time. They saw the usage jump crzy and saw it as risky I see that now and understand now what I did wrong. Lets see hopefully they remove it so I can upgrade to a plat....
Established Contributor
espnjunkie

Amex has an internal scoring system to measure risk. After your FR they likely concluded that they are willing to extend you upto 3,000.00 given your risk factors. Many different things make up what is considered risk, such as income, assets, employment history, credit score, baddies, utilization, AAoA, history with Amex, etc.

It's generally best to not rock the boat so to speak with Amex. They don't randomly place hard caps, it's done with reason.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver ($2,500.00), US Bank Business card
TU-711 (07/10/2012)
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+