Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sick and Tired of Amex Gold

tag
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Sick and Tired of Amex Gold

I really liked my gold charge card at first, until I was FR'd back in Feb. They set a hard limit to 3k. At the time it was fine cus I wasnt spending that much, I was only pushing 2k. Now for the past 2 months I keep hitting the 3k limit and getting emails, please pay so that your card doesn't get declined. I have to keep making multiple monthy payments. This weekend I made 5 payments ( they don't even let me make multiple payments online) !!!! This is seriously crazy. All my family and friends have a 20-30 internal limit and they gave me a stupid 3k limit. I already surpassed the 30k spending and get an additional 15,000 bonus points. GOT THE EMAIL 2 DAYS AGO AND THEY SAID THEY GAVE IT TO ME BUT AS OF TODAY NO 15,000 BONUS POINTS.

Anyway I can't wait until I get back to NPSL, or at least a 10k hard limit.

Anybody have any experience with this ???

On a side note I have a chase bold for my business with 35k spending limit....lol
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sick and Tired of Amex Gold

The bonus points are typically credited about a month after they "give" them to you. When I got my Zync, I had a spend some amount (I forget) and get 10k mrp's. I never got them, called and they said they would credit them to me. It took about one billing cycle. As for the limit, I don't know wha advice to give you on that 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pretty recently somebody was on here posting that he had his hard limit removed from his charge card, so it does happen.  If it hasn't happened after a year, I'd suggest calling Amex about it.  If you're really anxious about it, you could go ahead and call now and inquire about it.

Message 3 of 12
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Really hopefully there is hope out there.
Message 4 of 12
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Do you remember was it a year after FR or a year after having the card ??
Message 5 of 12
n777ua
Established Contributor

I believe the hard limit is removed after 1 year.  Mine was, and that tends to be the experience of most others.  AFAIK, Amex will not remove this earlier than 12 months.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 6 of 12
youngman1234
Established Contributor

n77ua,

One year from having the card or 1 year from the limit being placed. I got the card in Nov 2011, limit was placed Feb 2012.
Message 7 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

just out of curiosity, why did they FR you to begin with?

I just don't want to get FR'ed on my new Amex BCE revolver...

that would suck.

lol

Best wishes!

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 12
youngman1234
Established Contributor

I don't think revolvers get Fr'd.... It was my spend habits. I ran like 300 first month, 1200 second, 8-9k third. 3rd month spent like 2k then paid spent again then paid balance was never over 3.5k at any given time. They saw the usage jump crzy and saw it as risky I see that now and understand now what I did wrong. Lets see hopefully they remove it so I can upgrade to a plat....
Message 9 of 12
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Amex has an internal scoring system to measure risk. After your FR they likely concluded that they are willing to extend you upto 3,000.00 given your risk factors. Many different things make up what is considered risk, such as income, assets, employment history, credit score, baddies, utilization, AAoA, history with Amex, etc.

It's generally best to not rock the boat so to speak with Amex. They don't randomly place hard caps, it's done with reason.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.