cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sigh, What I thought I had figured out for daily cards is falling apart... I need help!

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Sigh, What I thought I had figured out for daily cards is falling apart... I need help!

Okay so American Express Blue Cash Preferred - That's a Given!

Then we need a Visa/MC.

So the question is do we get the new United Explorer or whatever "JUST" for buying airline tickets and getting the free checked bag and use as emergency back up if someone doesn't take Amex or what??

I shop a TON and love the new "Auto Subscription" that Amazon has but it says 100 point is 1 dollar in cash? I'm confused, if only getting 1%, isn't that like a penny per dollar spent?

Citi Forward doesn't seem as exciting as it use too

Discover not really

NO BofA

I'm starting to think if I'm going to earn pretty crappy rewards on daily purchases I my as well get something that would pay off in savings for something like clothes (Gap, Zappos sort of thing!)

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Sigh, What I thought I had figured out for daily cards is falling apart... I need help!

Yeah, I was disappointed when I first figured out what my "rewards" were going to be. I was using my Navy 1% card for everything and got back an average of $15 a month (spending $1500), so yes, it's 1c per $1 spent. But it's better than nothing.

Right now, I am enjoying my new Chase Freedom for the 5% category (grocery). I use my Amex Costco for gas @ Costco, which gives me 3% -- but only once a year payout. Amex Costco also gives 2% for restaurants, so I'm starting to use it for that, too.

If there is a store you frequent, then getting rewards for that store would probably pay off more than cash rewards. AFAIK, the Amazon CC (GEMB) does not have Amazon rewards -- only special financing. I don't know about the Chase Amazon -- that might have better Amazon rewards.

It's funny: every time I'm standing at the cashier, I'm looking into my wallet, debating which card I should use for the best rewards and statement dates! Crazy! Smiley Surprised

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Sigh, What I thought I had figured out for daily cards is falling apart... I need help!

A viariety of cards helps a ton to maximize rewards.  1% cards really don't get you a whole lot.  Discover and Freedom are great for 5% categories and their online shopping malls that are great for a ton of bonus cash back just for linking through there.   Amex BCP is awesome from groceries and dept stores and not bad for gas.  Penfed has a 5% gas card.  Citi has a card that's good for restaurants and Amazon but couldn't tell you what it is, Citi hates me for some reason.

Message 3 of 11
drkaje
Senior Contributor

BCP covers everything. I back it up with Chase Freedom or a card from USAA. Chase is likely to be SD'd if they don't upgrade to Signature after one year..

As for CA'a post, points really don't have any value to me.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 11
tray
Valued Contributor

Citi Dividened Mastercard is pretty good with different catagories for 5% other than what discover and chase offer

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Foward gets you 5x rewards opat Amazon or the Chase Amazon card gets you 3% cash back.
Message 6 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Okay,

1. Chase Amazon 3% better or the Citi for 5 "Points" per $1?

Can someone break down... I don't shop at the online places for credit card bonuses and I don't spend enough on gas to worry about those being 3 or 5% and I really want just 1 amex, 1 visa/MC for everything except when in store cards are WAY BETTER!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

Okay,

Can someone break down... I don't shop at the online places for credit card bonuses and I don't spend enough on gas to worry about those being 3 or 5% and I really want just 1 amex, 1 visa/MC for everything except when in store cards are WAY BETTER!

I have both. Once I found out about Citi 5% I switched because not too long ago, I got a special through Thank You points (which usually sucks) where I got two $100 Amazon GCs for 9000 points each which makes it around 5.56% cash back. Hoping I can rack up points and get that special again.
Message 8 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Okay,

I have both. Once I found out about Citi 5% I switched because not too long ago, I got a special through Thank You points (which usually sucks) where I got two $100 Amazon GCs for 9000 points each which makes it around 5.56% cash back. Hoping I can rack up points and get that special again.

So that's not a regular reward, that is a special only? If they are not offering that special, what would it cost to get the Amzon GC for $100?

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now the $50 cards are 6,000 points which yields roughly 4.2% or if you get $100 cash it still yields 3.1% so overall for Amazon it's still better. But if/when Amazon comes back on the Freedom, you can't beat 5% UR points.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.